Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Flush draws.. when? why? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=405532)

12-26-2005 07:45 PM

Flush draws.. when? why?

Hello everyone!
This is my first post. You'll have to pardon my english. It sucks.
Well, i'd like to know when is it right to draw to a flush.
For instance, if you have 34s and the board is 2 suited... is it right with such a small cards?
When you have only one card to draw you must have one of the two top remaining cards, that's the only thing i know for sure.
But with the previous example, should i call a reraise if the pot odds are correct? Should I bet/reraise when i get my flush (assuming a non paired board)?

Thank you so much. English corrections allowed [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Fantam 12-26-2005 08:08 PM

Re: Flush draws.. when? why?

Hello Mandel and welcome to the forums. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

You will make your flush draw by the river on average about 1 out of 3 times.

So you should usually do whatever is necessary to encourage other players to stay in the hand when you are still drawing.

That means if no one else has bet and there are a few players in the pot, that you should go ahead and bet.

If someone else has bet, often you should call so that other players will be encouraged to also call. You dont want to drive them out by raising.

Obviously a high flush draw is better than a low flush draw, but you should not worry about that too much.

If there are a lot of raises and reraises, then perhaps you should not continue with a small flush draw.

But otherwise, just try to do whatever will get the most bets in the pot when you have a flush draw.

That way you will usually end up winning the most, when you complete your draw.

I hope this helps. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

12-26-2005 11:12 PM

Cheers, mate!

"If there are a lot of raises and reraises, then perhaps you should not continue with a small flush draw."
Well, those times you don't get correct pot odds, do you?

Another question.. I usually bet just the flop with a flush draw, but not the turn because i'm afraid of a raise.. is it right?
Oh, and many times i fold my flush draws if there's many people to act behind me that could raise and spoil my pot odds.

12-27-2005 12:48 AM

If you are playing pretty standard suited cards according to the SSHE chart you should generally be drawing to a high flush that will hold up more times than not. As long as the pot odds are close you should hang on to these hands.

I believe you want to raise and re-raise with your flush draws on the flop and turn to try and get rid of lone high card hands which would beat your flush if the board 4 flushes. I also believe you are raising these draws for value for when they do hit, don't worry about keeping people in the hand, they will usually stay.

12-27-2005 11:39 PM

Ok, problem comes when i play suited connectors late (e.g. 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ).
If the board comes 3suited, i play it strong, of course. If another [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] comes i'm surely dead.
But, here's what happens to me many times:
pocket: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
flop: T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I try to get as many bets in the flop as possible. If they don't bet, i do. If there's been a lot of calls, i raise. If i'm first to talk, i check if i'm afraid someone raises after me and makes people fold.
If there's a lot of action in the flop, i raise as well for value.

Ok, now, when the turn comes 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] i get really scared always and i think that there's no point in betting and raising now, because most of the times i won't make the flush.
Should i keep betting and raising on the turn? It's really difficult to me.

moose47 12-27-2005 11:44 PM

Very rarely will you be in a situation where you should continue betting and raising on the turn with a flush draw. It all comes down to how many opponents you have. You are 20% to make your hand at that point so you are going to need 4 opponents calling your bet to break even. Since you can't be sure everyone is calling I would need probably 6 really loose opponents on the turn to feel comfortable keeping up the aggression. But generally speaking you wont have the pot equity on the turn to keep raising so it is a good time to slow down.

radek2166 12-27-2005 11:53 PM

Class in session. Poker is like sex, position, position, position.

BTW did I mention position.

Second 34s is junk. Pump the FD on the flop dont hit on the turn check call.

Simple stuff. Dont foget the check raise.

Use UR position.

12-28-2005 12:44 AM

Ok, so I was playing them right.
34s is junk in the button? Shouldn't i play it?
What are the lowest suited connectors that i should play?

Thank you so much. BTW, I play in Party 0,50/1. I don't know if that matters.

12-28-2005 12:53 AM

Read SSHE.

marchron 12-28-2005 03:06 AM

SSHE has you playing 4/3 suited in a loose game from the button for one bet. Look it up.