Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Dell / Weird (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=383550)

Yeti 11-22-2005 07:04 PM

Dell / Weird

I order a 2001FP off Dell at around 5pm then go to eat. I arrive back and I have 4 missed calls off 01234567890. Weird. A quick google search reveals this happens if a company has not set up their phones properly. OK.

Then my phone rings again at 8pm, same number. I answer, it's Dell. He then asks me lots of questions, it starts off confirming my name/address/home number, last 4 digits of card used, how long have I lived here, etc, then progresses to 'business phone number?'. I tell him I'm a student, then he asks for student number/university/course. This is weird. I give them. Then he asks for a contact number for my uni department. WTF?

I ask him if this is really necessary, he says 'yes, sorry, this is just a check and we can't process your order w/out all this'.

I then tell him I'm sorry but I don't have this number on me. He says 'ok, bye', and hangs up pretty quickly.

I'm obviously 95% sure this is not a scam, but it just seems weird. Is this standard protocol for them? I assume my order is not on the way now. I am very angry at the convo that went on.

MrTrik 11-22-2005 07:07 PM

Re: Dell / Weird

I've ordered many dells over the years and never had anything like this happen. Were you using Dell credit or something, maybe for the first time?

chuddo 11-22-2005 07:08 PM

dell calls me 25 times a day at least because they think i have stolen a computer from them.

i refuse to answer out of spite from the multiple cases of terrible customer support i have received, and the numerous times they told me "we will call you tomorrow, promise", and never did.

i answered once over a week ago and said "sorry these matters can only be discussed between 1pm and 6pm." and hung up.

i am going to answer one of the calls tomorrow and tell them "please hold while i transfer you to the proper department", and hang up.

i hate dell.

Brainwalter 11-22-2005 07:09 PM

Did you get a student discounted price?

Patrick del Poker Grande 11-22-2005 07:09 PM

Was his name Idi?

ChicagoTroy 11-22-2005 07:10 PM

Something sounds funny. How do you know the call was from Dell?

Yeti 11-22-2005 07:10 PM

My standard everyday debit card. No discount. I am 95% sure I ordered it in the Home section, can't see why I would order it under Small Business. If I did, I can understand the questions. Maybe.

Every one of you would assume, like I did, that the call was from Dell. I still have no reason to believe it wasn't.

swede123 11-22-2005 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Something sounds funny. How do you know the call was from Dell?

[/ QUOTE ]

Duh. Only Dell has the phone number (012) 345-6789

Swede

TheWorstPlayer 11-22-2005 07:12 PM

This is very very awesome.