Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Donovan Mcnabb and the NAACP (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=398514)

12-14-2005 06:48 PM

Donovan Mcnabb and the NAACP

I was watching PTI and it talked about Whyatt Mondesire the head of the NAACP in Philly's column from Nov. 27 column in the Philadelphia Sun. Does anyone have a copy of this.

moose47 12-14-2005 07:35 PM

Re: Donovan Mcnabb and the NAACP

web page

12-14-2005 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
web page

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm neither black nor an Eagles fan but after reading the first couple of paragraphs my head started to hurt. Sure, maybe Donovan is a bit of a head-case and is not the greatest big game QB, but you cannot question the man's heart or talent.

If half the NFL had as much class as Donovan, it'd be a much better league by far. Maybe class doesn't win games, maybe flair does win you games (TO), however calling him out like that and taking race into consideration is absurd.

holeplug 12-14-2005 08:39 PM

The guy that wrote that article owns the paper it was published in. Which is one of the reasons why someone that delusional could have something published in a newspaper.

12-14-2005 11:14 PM

Thanks a lot, reading this article it is quite clear that the writer is not a sports fan and he does not know what he's talking about. Donovan Mcnabb did not run this year for two reasons first because he was injured and second he has become a great passing quarterback. He says that Donovan is Mediocre at best but he clearly is a top 5 qb in the NFL. Lastly he says that Donovan Mcnabb is no Doug Williams which is funny because Mcnabb has more passing yards, rushing yards, passing td's and less picks. This guy is a douchebag and if he didn't own the newspaper there is no way in hell this would get published.

Jack of Arcades 12-14-2005 11:28 PM

McNabb is clearly top 5? I think not...

thatpfunk 12-14-2005 11:41 PM

ooh, im curious... I'd like to hear JoA's top ten QBs. If you feel like getting extensive, two lists: QBs listen in order that you would take if you had a franchise and needed him for just this season or if you were building a franchise around them (next 6-10 seasons I suppose).

Jack of Arcades 12-14-2005 11:45 PM

well, to be honest I didn't say he wasn't top 5 just that it isn't clear. I think 1/2/3 are like Peyton/Brady/Palmer and then it gets real weird after that. McNabb may very well be #4 or #5 but there wouldn't be much separating him from #10.

thatpfunk 12-14-2005 11:51 PM

im curious as to where you put brees, eli, and vick...

McGahee 12-14-2005 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
McNabb is clearly top 5? I think not...

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he's the clear #4 after the Manning/Brady/Palmer trio you mentioned. Maybe Brees & Green are close but that's about it.

TheGame1020 12-15-2005 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
well, to be honest I didn't say he wasn't top 5 just that it isn't clear. I think 1/2/3 are like Peyton/Brady/Palmer and then it gets real weird after that. McNabb may very well be #4 or #5 but there wouldn't be much separating him from #10.

[/ QUOTE ]

How the [censored] does Palmer get this status after one great season?

McNabb is light years ahead of Palmer. I guess every QB who has a good season is right up there with Brady and Manning. lol.

Mcnabb is cleary a better QB than Palmer. What the hell is wrong with you seriously?

thatpfunk 12-15-2005 12:05 AM

I'd take Palmer over McNabb all day.

Is Matt Hassleback the most underrated QB in the leauge?

TheRover 12-15-2005 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd take Palmer over McNabb all day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Him or Trent Green unless Green's more popular than I know about.

holeplug 12-15-2005 12:29 AM

I think for QB right now there is Manning/Brady then a small drop and then there is McNabb/Palmer and then another drop and then Hasselbeck/Green/Brees/Roethlisberger/Vick and maybe a couple of others.

Jack of Arcades 12-15-2005 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How the [censored] does Palmer get this status after one great season?

McNabb is light years ahead of Palmer. I guess every QB who has a good season is right up there with Brady and Manning. lol.

Mcnabb is cleary a better QB than Palmer. What the hell is wrong with you seriously?

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL. And all the Bengals fans I know say Roethlisberger sucks. Take off your Steelers helmet.

Palmer had a fine season last year, too.

Jack of Arcades 12-15-2005 12:49 AM

Guys,

McNabb has never really had a great year except for last year. Obviously there's a huge disparity between last year and the years before in terms of WR Talent, but I'm skeptical. I think he's very similar to Kerry Collins.

As for Palmer, he had a good year last year masked by his injury and his tough schedule.

My #4-#10 would probably include names like Hasselmonster, Green, Blees, Plummer, Bledsoe, McNabb, and Roethlisberger. I think of Roeth very highly. Guys like Delhomme, Bulger, and Leftwich are also to be considered.

TheRover 12-15-2005 12:55 AM

Culpepper?

Jack of Arcades 12-15-2005 12:58 AM

I have no idea. Daunte's up and down. This year was horrific, last two years great, two before that horrific.

MEbenhoe 12-15-2005 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Kurt Warner

12-15-2005 01:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Kurt Warner

[/ QUOTE ]

rofl

Victor 12-15-2005 08:15 AM

no vick in the top 10. can always count on you for humor joa.

Victor 12-15-2005 08:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ROFL. And all the Bengals fans I know say Roethlisberger sucks

[/ QUOTE ]

im surprised by this bc ima bengals fan in ohio and all the bungles fans i know think rothlisberger is a very good and dangerous qb. they like bc he went to college right down the road.

Jack of Arcades 12-15-2005 09:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, please look at the stats for aaron brooks and michael vick and tell me just how different they've been.

Victor 12-15-2005 09:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, please look at the stats for aaron brooks and michael vick and tell me just how different they've been.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh sorry i forgot that passing stats are all that make up a qb. for some reason i must have overvalued actually winning football games.

Jack of Arcades 12-15-2005 10:05 AM

You're right, going 7-4 against the easiest schedule in the NFL with a pretty good supporting cast is oh so very impressive.

holeplug 12-15-2005 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Guys,

McNabb has never really had a great year except for last year. Obviously there's a huge disparity between last year and the years before in terms of WR Talent, but I'm skeptical. I think he's very similar to Kerry Collins.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whaat? Kerry Collins??

Bluffoon 12-15-2005 12:01 PM

This article doesn't even deserve coment it is so absurd it should just be ignored. As far as top five QB's go I don't know how to rank them but McNabb is close if he is not in and how does Farve (I know he's just about done and the pack sucks but still) not even get mentioned?

McGahee 12-15-2005 12:37 PM

Plummer & Bledsoe on the same level as McNabb? OK now I know you've been drinking.

Jack of Arcades 12-15-2005 06:17 PM

Both of them were pretty average QBs their whole career until they got a top WR, and now they've suddenly found life.

Well, okay, my point was a lot stronger before Randy Moss was hurt but Collins was insane the first couple of weeks.

Jack of Arcades 12-15-2005 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Plummer & Bledsoe on the same level as McNabb? OK now I know you've been drinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bledsoe's kind've tough to figure out. He had below average years his last two in Buffalo, but he's always been pretty good aside from that; certainly better than what McNabb always turned in pre-2004. As a Cowboy, he's returned to those levels.

Plummer's also a weird case. He's finally come around the last two years, but whether or not that has to do completely with Denver I'm not sure. Seeing as though Denver isnt' exactly a great pass-blocking team, I think we can say it isn't all Denver.

Jack of Arcades 12-15-2005 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This article doesn't even deserve coment it is so absurd it should just be ignored. As far as top five QB's go I don't know how to rank them but McNabb is close if he is not in and how does Farve (I know he's just about done and the pack sucks but still) not even get mentioned?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh come on, you want me to mention Favre, too? Do you want me to get lynched?

McGahee 12-15-2005 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Bledsoe's kind've tough to figure out. He had below average years his last two in Buffalo, but he's always been pretty good aside from that; certainly better than what McNabb always turned in pre-2004. As a Cowboy, he's returned to those levels.

Plummer's also a weird case. He's finally come around the last two years, but whether or not that has to do completely with Denver I'm not sure. Seeing as though Denver isnt' exactly a great pass-blocking team, I think we can say it isn't all Denver.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you look at Bledsoe's tenure in NE it was certainly not better than McNabb pre-2004. His postseason performances were atrocious. The year they went to the SB the Pats defense gave up 0 TD's in the AFC playoffs and the offense did squat other than 200 rushing yards by Curtis Martin vs. Pittsburgh. Against Jacksonville they're up 13-6 late in the 4th when the defense scores to ice it. The one offensive TD came after the Jags fumbled on their own 5. Drew really did nothing and that was by far his BEST postseason, and this was with a HOF RB, legendary coach and great TE.

sam h 12-15-2005 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

????

Before this year, Bledsoe has been mediocre to bad every year since 1998 with the exception of 2002. He really only had a 3 year run from 1996-1998 when he could be considered a top-notch quarterback.

McNabb's 2004 is far better than anything Bledsoe ever did, and his 2001 and 2002 are in the same ballpark, if perhaps slighly worse, than Bledsoe's peak, with much less talent to work with. He was also having a season this year that would have compared well with Bledsoe's best years. Basically, the guy is in his prime and his probably better now than Bledsoe ever was, much less than Bledsoe is currently (although he's having a surprising and probably aberrantly good season).

McGahee 12-15-2005 09:44 PM

Good post - I would also like to add that he sucked in the 2nd half of 2002, though he played well enough in the first 8 games to give him good looking stats for the season.

Jack of Arcades 12-15-2005 09:52 PM

McNabb's 2001 and 2002 "are in the same ballpark" as his 2004? 2004 is far and away better than anything's he's ever done or will ever do again. In fact, Bledsoe's 2002 was better than McNabb's. So was his 2000. 2001 obviously doesn't come into play, but McNabb was playing better. However, Bledsoe played better in 2005 than McNabb.

I really don't understand why everyone thinks McNabb has been so good. He hasn't. He rode a good defense and a good running game (partially due to him) in a weak conference and division to the nfc championship game. It took Terrell Owens for him to have a great season, and they still fell short in the Super Bowl. Why doesn't anyone outside of Philly say "Donovan McNabb can't win the big game?" Or Michael Vick for that matter?

TO made Jeff Garcia look good, too.

sam h 12-15-2005 11:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
McNabb's 2001 and 2002 "are in the same ballpark" as his 2004?

[/ QUOTE ]

I said McNabb's 2001 and 2002 were in the same ballpark as Bledsoe's peak between 1996-1998. McNabb's 2004 is clearly better than anything Bledsoe has ever done. He is still a youngish quarterback arguably in the middle of his prime. TO might have helped him last year, but he has had terrible skill players to work with in previous years, especially at the WR slot. I'm not arguing that he's great, but he's certainly a lot better than Drew Bledsoe.

With Bledsoe you have 13 years to draw from. He has never had a dominant season and before this year had one good year in the last six.

holeplug 12-15-2005 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Both of them were pretty average QBs their whole career until they got a top WR, and now they've suddenly found life.

Well, okay, my point was a lot stronger before Randy Moss was hurt but Collins was insane the first couple of weeks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kerry Collins has average numbers almost his whole career because he is an average QB. But McNabb's numbers are still a lot better than Collins. He has a a 2/1 TD/INT ratio while Collins has been almost exectly 1/1. He has a much better QB rating than Collins does. His completion % has even been higher. Bledsoe has a little bit better numbers than Collins but still not as good as McNabb's career numbers.

Jack of Arcades 12-15-2005 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Kerry Collins has average numbers almost his whole career because he is an average QB. But McNabb's numbers are still a lot better than Collins. He has a a 2/1 TD/INT ratio while Collins has been almost exectly 1/1. He has a much better QB rating than Collins does. His completion % has even been higher. Bledsoe has a little bit better numbers than Collins but still not as good as McNabb's career numbers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are we looking at career numbers? What Kerry and Bledsoe did pre-2000 really has no bearing on today. Kerry post-2000 looks a lot better than Kerry pre-2000 (for a myriad of reasons, the biggest of which is probably no longer playing drunk).

Kerry's 2002 was pretty close to McNabb's 2004. It's important to take into account the huge jump in offense last year. Comparing 2002 to 2004 is like comparing baseball in 86 to 87.

Pudge714 12-16-2005 12:50 AM

You say McNabb only did well with TO, but if you say that you have to consider.
Peyton without Marv and Reggie
Carson without Chad
Roethlisberger without Hines
etc.

Jack of Arcades 12-16-2005 01:12 AM

Peyton is just in his own stratosphere in terms of production. Couple that with scouting, etc, and I think we can agree that Peyton isn't Peyton because of Harrison.

With Chad and Hines we can see their effects on other QBs. Maddox and Batch were horrible this year (and Maddox was horrible last year), so have a pretty decent idea that Roeth isn't just a product of the people around him. Kitna was off and on as the Bengals QB. Palmer was only above avrage last year with mostly the same people; I think Palmer represents either a true fluke or a step forward.

I dunno, am I making sense here? McNabb had pretty much set a level of performance and then TO came along and his performance spiked.