Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   I need calming - waiting to move up (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=300399)

Borno 07-25-2005 07:53 PM

I need calming - waiting to move up

After winning a couple thousand at 5/10 I moved to 10/20 lost 600 or so, moved back to 5/10 and then lost almost everything back... now I've moved back down to 2/4 and I'm doing quite well again...

what I'm getting at is that.. when I moved up I wasn't playing the same game.. I was playing looser, taking more chances.. trying to play trickier..

I have the BR but I've had huge swings and I didn't know what to do...

Last week there was a discussion on taking shots.

I caution everyone: a bankroll is NOT all you need. Really study your PT stats and make sure you have a tonne of hands.

Good luck everyone I hope you don't fall into the same situation as me.

toss 07-25-2005 07:56 PM

Re: I need calming - waiting to move up

Sound advice.

Good luck and work hard.

DrewOnTilt 07-25-2005 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After winning a couple thousand at 5/10 I moved to 10/20 lost 600 or so, moved back to 5/10 and then lost almost everything back... now I've moved back down to 2/4 and I'm doing quite well again...

what I'm getting at is that.. when I moved up I wasn't playing the same game.. I was playing looser, taking more chances.. trying to play trickier..

I have the BR but I've had huge swings and I didn't know what to do...

I caution everyone: a bankroll is NOT all you need. Really study your PT stats and make sure you have a tonne of hands.

Good luck everyone I hope you don't fall into the same situation as me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I think too many people make the mistake of assuming that all you need to move up is 300BB.

I have more than enough bankroll to move to 3-6 but won't do so until I have thoroughly studied blind stealing and defense and also built a good PT database of 3-6 fishies.

jba 07-25-2005 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

link?

i've been on vacation

thanks

edit: i think this is it

PSW 07-25-2005 08:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

and also built a good PT database of 3-6 fishies.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you do this w/o playing 3/6? Just wondering if I am missing something...

jay1313 07-25-2005 09:06 PM

And I thought I was the only one not trying to move fast. Great advice all. I went through .5/1 and 1/2 fairly quickly and languished at 2/4 for months. The last couple of months have been going much better as I have worked on my aggression, reading hands, blind defense and just all around optimal play. No where near 'good' player status but I have more then adequate bankroll for 3/6 but I am also building a database of 3/6 players and making sure I understand more of the game before moving up.

jay1313 07-25-2005 09:07 PM

Set up your pokertracker to import observed hands for times you are not playing. It will log all of the observed hands without keeping all the detail and thus slowing your database down. If you need to know how to set it up, go to the help section of your pokertracker database.

malorum 07-25-2005 09:41 PM

Not sure it needs quite that much thought.

Relevant considerations are:

1. Why am I moving up?
Is it for the challenge/ego/status?
or is it for the money.
If its for the money should I not just buy a/some decent monitor/s and add a few more tables to my game.
Factor in reduced win rate bonus/rakeback structure etx. when working out wether you need to move up.
What do you want your hourly earn to be?
anything under 40 usd/hour and you really don't need to move over 2/4.

100 usd per hour and 5/10 makes life easier.

Think about your goals before you fret about your game.

2. IMHO You really don't need that much deep thought to beat 5/10. Just some decent mental heuristics which you can adapt to the site/game texture.
There are some very effective approximations to optimal play, that make decision making much quicker, and simpler.
Find them. drill them, and forget about all that deep study. If its not money your after though, and just like game study, then Chess or Go are excesllent games.