Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   floped a set...time to get paid (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=401032)

soah 12-18-2005 11:25 PM

Re: floped a set...time to get paid

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My reasoning for just calling flop was to try and get money in from the other two guys

[/ QUOTE ]

There aren't any draws, with that action you are usually getting folds or a push.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should he be more inclined to protect his hand on drawless flops than on boards where his opponents could actually have hands he needs to protect against?

soah 12-18-2005 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not much you can do if your opponent has Ace high, he is not paying off anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I would rather try to get a call on the flop instead of hoping for him to catch on the turn and insta folding to any blank.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the benefit to raising the flop if your opponent is drawing dead and will (correctly) fold?

soah 12-18-2005 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Call behind on the flop hoping somebody's got AJ, T9, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Based on the preflop action I doubt UTG or MP2 has AJ or T9, so you are gambling that MP1 has something instead of trying to extract more from MP2 who has shown interest.

[/ QUOTE ]

After you call the flop you have $160 left in a $100 pot. How hard can it possibly be to get the rest of your stack in with position across two more betting rounds? What's the rush?

Gregg777 12-18-2005 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since when does a minraise in a multiway reraised pot not look at all strong?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say it wasn't strong.

[ QUOTE ]
After you call the flop you have $160 left in a $100 pot. How hard can it possibly be to get the rest of your stack in with position across two more betting rounds? What's the rush?

[/ QUOTE ]

Everybody seems to think villain doesn't have anything and is looking to fold.

If that's the case, in my experience, some donk at Party NL200 calling a minraise, is more likely than someone calling a blank turn if they check it.

I don't think villain is that weak based on the preflop action. Although UTG only raised to 4, MP2 didn't seem worried about getting re-raised again preflop, so I wouldn't rule out an overpair.

soah 12-18-2005 11:37 PM

If he has an overpair then what's wrong with calling?

Gregg777 12-18-2005 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he has an overpair then what's wrong with calling?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely nothing.

Most of the time I would call, but OP gives no read on villain, so I tend to post based on what I have seen lately, which has been aggressive donks thinking I am making a play more than smart thinking players [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

If OP had said villain was solid, then I would say call.

Gregg777 12-18-2005 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My reasoning for just calling flop was to try and get money in from the other two guys

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
There aren't any draws, with that action you are usually getting folds or a push.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why should he be more inclined to protect his hand on drawless flops than on boards where his opponents could actually have hands he needs to protect against?

[/ QUOTE ]

If someone checks a strong hand and gets a raise and a call behind, I don't think they are usually calling.

soah 12-18-2005 11:59 PM

And once again, why do you want to make people fold when they are drawing dead?

Gregg777 12-19-2005 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And once again, why do you want to make people fold when they are drawing dead?

[/ QUOTE ]

I see your point, but I was putting MP2 on the overpair, not UTG+1 or MP1.

Leptyne 12-19-2005 12:14 AM

Certainly you would be challenging the CB with a raise, but you mighht take the pot down for no gain. A call hopefully gets at least one other caller. When the turn blanks there just isn't anything there. What kind of hand do you think checks and calls a 1/2 pot turn bet? Villain won't always have a good second-best hand.