Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Weezer and Green Day are the defining bands of my generation... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=331888)

bort411 09-07-2005 06:50 PM

Weezer and Green Day are the defining bands of my generation...

and I think it sucks. Discuss.

Patrick del Poker Grande 09-07-2005 06:50 PM

Re: Weezer and Green Day are the defining bands of my generation...

There is no way this is true. How old are you?

bort411 09-07-2005 06:53 PM

Patrick del Poker Grande 09-07-2005 06:54 PM

You could maybe make an argument for Green Day, which is VERY, VERY unfortunate, but I don't think you could call Weezer a defining band of your generation.

Colonel Kataffy 09-07-2005 07:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but I don't think you could call Weezer a defining band of your generation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, Weezer is way, way off, but I echo the origianl point of the post.

mason55 09-07-2005 07:02 PM

Actually... I don't think he's that far off. At least, I can't come up with anything better in terms of rock. Weezer long ago defined the sound that has only become really popular the past few years. While they were never the biggest band, they certainly had a ton of influence that is only being seen lately.

tdarko 09-07-2005 07:05 PM

weezer hasn't been on the radar enough to be a defining band of your generation which is closely my generation.

their first album the blue album was breakthrough but you were what 11?

Pinkerton wasn't well recieved though their best album and you were what 13?

Green album is in your generation at the age of 18 and it had some success, but then they wen't the other direction again with maladroit.

FWIW i think their new album rocks, and i have always liked them. i just think that their "defining" album was before your generation unless age 11 is your generation.

PITTM 09-07-2005 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You could maybe make an argument for Green Day, which is VERY, VERY unfortunate, but I don't think you could call Weezer a defining band of your generation.

[/ QUOTE ]

i disagree. im also 22, and i would say that the songs from weezers blue album are probably known by MOST people from my generation. i havent heard it in 2 years, yet im sure i know the words to every song still. i would agree, green day and weezer, and yes, it sucks.

rj

Piiop 09-07-2005 07:08 PM

I'm not really sure what you're even talking about here.

Weezer isn't a defining band and I'm a huge Weezer fan, I'm also 23.

Green Day defined pop-punk, which is huge, but that's clearly not "the defining band" of the entire generation.

And what exactly sucks about it?

Patrick del Poker Grande 09-07-2005 07:11 PM

Of course everyone knows The Blue album, but that doesn't make Weezer the defining band of your generation.

Also, I'm 25 and find myself much different than 22 year olds right now... am I in a different generation? If not, then there are much greater bands of our generation - the big bands of the late 90's... Smashing Pumpkins, Radiohead, Tool, STP, Nirvana (maybe a bit early), Pearl Jam, Metallica. Weezer is a stretch (and a half) and Green Day could maybe get some arguments. The bands of today are the current teenagers' defining bands - those crappy Sum41, Yellowcard type bands.