Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Stalling in tourneys? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=377518)

Adde 11-13-2005 01:12 PM

Stalling in tourneys?

(Heya Bob, thanks to your post I jumped into a tourney [which I seldom play nowadays] and got the stalling fever myself.)

Question: do people stall even when hand-for-hand is in play, or is it just that they have to think about their hands so much longer when the money is deep/er?

Given that the "We are waiting for hands..." message is shown after every hand, I would be surprised if people still think they'll get an edge by stalling, or am I missing something here?

Adde

GrannyMae 11-13-2005 01:14 PM

Re: Stalling in tourneys?

u are missing nada.

stallers at hand for hand are dingbats, or slow thinking bots.

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/k0/eyecrazy.gif

benkath1 11-13-2005 01:38 PM

I played a HU tourney on stars last night. I got a guy stalling at every decision in the 3rd round, but only when he had the chip lead. Most satisfying victory of the tourney. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Spartacus 11-13-2005 01:46 PM

This is not necessarily so. What if you have 10k in the cutoff and some else (OP) has 15k UTG +1? If the blinds are going to jump from say 4k-8k to 6k-12k, then it gives you a strategic advantage if you can slow down the play so that OP gets hit with 6k-12k blinds rather than 4k-8k. OP may be able to fold out if the blinds pass him at the lower level. Stalling forces OP to get involved.

There is some merit to stalling in satellites. I don't like it when I am in OP's position, but I have used this strategy when it suits me.

GrannyMae 11-13-2005 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is not necessarily so. What if you have 10k in the cutoff and some else (OP) has 15k UTG +1? If the blinds are going to jump from say 4k-8k to 6k-12k, then it gives you a strategic advantage if you can slow down the play so that OP gets hit with 6k-12k blinds rather than 4k-8k. OP may be able to fold out if the blinds pass him at the lower level. Stalling forces OP to get involved.

There is some merit to stalling in satellites. I don't like it when I am in OP's position, but I have used this strategy when it suits me.

[/ QUOTE ]

my bad. in the exact situation you describe i guess it would be worth it. however, this is going to be a rare occurance.

Spartacus 11-13-2005 02:18 PM

If you play the $215 Sats on Stars on a regular basis, this is not so rare. Unfortunately many players are clueless about when you should stall and you often see stalling when it serves no purpose.

Nepa 11-13-2005 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you play the $215 Sats on Stars on a regular basis, this is not so rare. Unfortunately many players are clueless about when you should stall and you often see stalling when it serves no purpose.

[/ QUOTE ]

It often serves a purpose. i.e. It is hand for hand but you want the blinds to increase before the blinds come around to a short stack.

Spartacus 11-13-2005 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It often serves a purpose.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know it does. The chip leader taking the full allotted time for each hand does not.

Nepa 11-13-2005 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It often serves a purpose.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know it does. The chip leader taking the full allotted time for each hand does not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I guess the chipleaders thinking is, if I play less hands I'll have a better shot of making the money. Notice I didn't say winning the tournament.

William 11-13-2005 04:46 PM

GREAT THREAD! Now we are all educated on the difficult subject of stalling in tourneys [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]