Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Hand vs Carlos Mortensen in Bellagio 3K (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=393590)

shaniac 12-07-2005 06:27 PM

Re: Hand vs Carlos Mortensen in Bellagio 3K

[ QUOTE ]
I'd really like to hear a justification for that. You are out of position for every street, your hand can't make a real hand. As is evidenced by this post, even when you make a "monster" you are going to be hesitant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if I had all the right answers I wouldn't be posting.

It might be unjustifiable, a leak or whathaveyou, but I don't mind putting in 1% of my stack to see a flop, even with a hand that's pure trash.

I obviously CAN make a real hand, even if doing so will put me in a difficult spot sometimes. If I was afraid of difficult spots, I would have stayed home.

12-07-2005 06:28 PM

On second thought, I still think he has 77. The pot's big enough. Why wait for the river.

ansky451 12-07-2005 06:33 PM

I guess, but my main point is that I wonder if this actually would be EV over the long term... and im guessing no.

shaniac 12-07-2005 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On second thought, I still think he has 77. The pot's big enough. Why wait for the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

You think he has 77 when he min-raises my turn bet or when he pushes after I re-raise. Yeah, 77 is firmly within his range after he pushes. How about when he mini-raises?

Couple other thoughts I'd like to insert here:

My table was not easy. There were 9 players and no spots (besides me, maybe). I was content to play tight and avoid annoying confrontations, but it's not like I could sit back and wait for someone to donate their stack to me, either.

Also, with the premise that after I've re-raised his turn min-raise I'm pot-commited (and he know that), does anyone think I gave Carlos a tough-enough decision with some Ace/middle pair/spade combo?

MLG 12-07-2005 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, with the premise that after I've re-raised his turn min-raise I'm pot-commited (and he know that), does anyone think I gave Carlos a tough-enough decision with some Ace/middle pair/spade combo

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, between pushing and calling.

shaniac 12-07-2005 06:39 PM

Mmm...good point.

Man I suck.

MLG 12-07-2005 06:39 PM

didnt you cash in this event?

shaniac 12-07-2005 06:43 PM

No, this hand is hot off the presses.

I've had some near-successes this trip, which will be detailed in the forthcoming blog entry.

It always tortures me when I look back on hands where I made mistakes, and those mistakes reveal themselves in new ways the more I think about the hand.

adanthar 12-07-2005 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My table was not easy. There were 9 players and no spots (besides me, maybe). I was content to play tight and avoid annoying confrontations, but it's not like I could sit back and wait for someone to donate their stack to me, either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay fine, but then you call the raise with 62o OOP? It's not like I care about the 75 chips, I care about what happens after you do call (basically, this.)

[ QUOTE ]
Also, with the premise that after I've re-raised his turn min-raise I'm pot-commited (and he know that), does anyone think I gave Carlos a tough-enough decision with some Ace/middle pair/spade combo?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he is the type of guy that you can put on 'ace + spade', not to mention air, *now*, that's clearly a no.

Normal people...sure, that's a tough call with something like AxJs, but that's not a huge part of his range and I doubt he calls the flop/minraises the turn with those (doesn't make too much sense because I think that's either a clear calldown or a flop/turn big raise.) I think he's more likely to have a flush, higher trips or nothing much at all (if I have 77 I just call the turn 3 bet). The point is, if you're going to give him 'a tough decision' with trips no kicker on a board that sucks this much after he's shown that much strength, don't be surprised when it backfires.

12-07-2005 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You think he has 77 when he min-raises my turn bet or when he pushes after I re-raise. Yeah, 77 is firmly within his range after he pushes. How about when he mini-raises?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm currently reading Phil Gordon's Little Green Poker. He says pros are at their most dangerous when they raise a small amount.

BTW

I like your blog. Bookmarked it.