Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Teaching my son chess (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=327759)

ScottTheFish 09-01-2005 04:43 PM

Teaching my son chess

Ok all you chess fans out there...my son has been bugging me to teach him to play chess. He's 9, very bright and good at games.

I taught the basics of the game, how the pieces move, check, checkmate, etc. He picked it up very quickly and seems fascinated by the game.

Problem is I totally suck at chess and always have. I only know VERY basic strategy. What are some good books/sites for helping me teach him? I don't want stuff dissecting games between Grandmasters. I want good stuff for teaching basic strategy, preferably geard toward teaching it to kids.

Any advice appreciated.

jakethebake 09-01-2005 04:48 PM

Re: Teaching my son chess

LINKY

Blarg 09-01-2005 04:49 PM

What a cool thing to do with your kid.

Beats the traditional "get the f*** out of here" by a mile.

ScottTheFish 09-01-2005 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LINKY

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow I never thought of trying that. I thought maybe someone had actually, you know, read something and knew it to be good. I trust poker players about strategy books more than random amazon customer ratings.

jakethebake 09-01-2005 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow I never thought of trying that. I thought maybe someone had actually, you know, read something and knew it to be good. I trust poker players about strategy books more than random amazon customer ratings.

[/ QUOTE ]

You wouldn't be the first, or even the hundredth, person that posted like this w/o searching Amazon. [censored] me very much for trying to help.

ScottTheFish 09-01-2005 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You wouldn't be the first, or even the hundredth, person that posted like this w/o searching Amazon. [censored] me very much for trying to help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough, I thought you were just trying to be a smart ass. Sorry about that.

Patrick del Poker Grande 09-01-2005 04:54 PM

The Chessmaster series is pretty good for just playing on a computer, either against a varying range of computer skill levels or another person. I had it back when it was Chessmaster 6000 and it had a real nice interface and feature set, as well as a nice array of skill levels and lessons/tutorials. That said, I'm no chess master myself, so perhaps there's something better. Also, it's sometimes fun to play against other people on Yahoo Games.

09-02-2005 12:21 AM

I always recommend this program which comes with 5 chess engines and is free Play With Arena

polltard