Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   How do they know? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=406533)

Mike Haven 12-28-2005 01:53 PM

How do they know?

I was asking Pokerchamps how to change the backs of their cards, as, twice, I had missed seeing players still in the hand while I was multi-tabling. I think their cards blend into their table too much.

They told me that, "our system reports show that your RAM might not be enough to run so many applications/windows at the same time."

When I asked them how much RAM I have they said, "You have 384 RAM in your computer and the minimum of RAM required these days to run online gaming is 512. This will help you go through the 5 tables quicker."

How do they know this? Do all the sites know this sort of stuff about our computer systems?

DrSavage 12-28-2005 01:59 PM

Re: How do they know?

They typically know way more than that, including applications you have running on your computer at any given point, applications you have installed, all of your hardware etc.

12-28-2005 02:14 PM

That's funny, I was 10 tabling party on 256ram for a month and a half.

jb9 12-28-2005 02:21 PM

I think their software asks your computer to tell them about itself, and it does...

MicroBob 12-28-2005 02:32 PM

Additionally...how can they not tell the difference between "HOW do you know?" and "WHAT do you know?"

Mike is asking, "Hey...how can you see that?"
And they say, "You have 386 RAM" which very obviously is not answering the question he was asking.

Are these C/S reps at some poker sites intentionally obtuse?

12-28-2005 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think their software asks your computer to tell them about itself, and it does...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's it, I'm never letting my computer go out drinking with any poker software ever again.

Sniper 12-28-2005 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do they know this? Do all the sites know this sort of stuff about our computer systems?

[/ QUOTE ]

Basic system info is available to any program running on your computer.

Party and other poker sites, specifically do additional sniffing around [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Rudbaeck 12-28-2005 02:45 PM

They might very well be violating national law in many domicilies by gathering this type of data without asking for permission. I know Blizzard North had to remove that spyware from their Diablo II patches long ago due to pressure from several EU countries.

Sniper 12-28-2005 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They might very well be violating national law in many domicilies by gathering this type of data without asking for permission. I know Blizzard North had to remove that spyware from their Diablo II patches long ago due to pressure from several EU countries.

[/ QUOTE ]

You specifically agree to their doing this in the T&C!

Pokeraddict 12-28-2005 04:57 PM

This is also a part of their troubleshooting. When you email them "This feature does not work" they can look at logs and know why. It too bad some rooms dont seem to use this though and cant fix their software issues.