Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Omaha/8 (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   PL Omaha H/L (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=382099)

StarlightCoast 11-20-2005 02:37 PM

PL Omaha H/L

I have been trying this game lately playing the .01/.02 PL tables but something I notice is that several times when I have the nut low hand it turns out another person also has it as well and on occasion a third person too.

When it is done I have less money than when I started the hand so my question is this:

When I have the nut low should I NOT be making those pot size bets and/or not raising?

If I have a hand going in that has only the low possibility and no way am I going to be high should I be backing off?

This getting tied for the low hand has happened several times. Is this usual or have I just been running into a little bad luck on this. I am still learning and I figure the .01/.02 PL tables are the cheapest way to do it. Thanks for any input.

Cooker 11-20-2005 03:40 PM

Re: PL Omaha H/L

You shouldn't be thrilled to draw at naked nut lows with very small chances to hit high. Yes when you have a nut low and someone else does also, you are going to lose money most of the time if you jam and take it too the end. You will only turn a profit if more than 4 players go to the end and only one other player has the nut low. If you have solid high prospects as well as the nut low, then you should start piling in the bets.

wiseheart 11-20-2005 06:46 PM

Naked nut low is talked about in a few posts,
try the Search function and put in nut low,
and mess around with the timing of it.

Wolffink 11-20-2005 09:47 PM

Ya, it's well known just having a nut low isn't much of a hand in pot limit. And it's not all that great in limit. You need something else to get involved, or at least position so you can possibly try a bluff and hog the entire pot. But that's it, actually--with just the nut low, you're usually playing for only half the pot and that's a no-no in 08.

pokernose 11-21-2005 12:52 AM

Your goal in O8 is to scoop the pot. When you have a naked low you want a lot of people in the pot with weaker lows so that if you do split you are showing a profit. If there is a lot of aggressive betting and raising you need to fold your nut low unless you have a solid draw to a nut high.

Cooker 11-21-2005 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your goal in O8 is to scoop the pot. When you have a naked low you want a lot of people in the pot with weaker lows so that if you do split you are showing a profit. If there is a lot of aggressive betting and raising you need to fold your nut low unless you have a solid draw to a nut high.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you need a solid draw to a nut high if you already have a nut low, but I would like some kind of high or draw at a fairly good high hand if I am going to put in a lot of money (which means I am raising and betting). I will often put in big bets and raises with non nut straight and flush draws if I have a made nut low already. I figure I am freerolling a 2 pair or set often enough that I want to get money in while I have an equity edge. I don't want to call small bets then catch the flush on the river and have my opponent correctly fold, I want him to get all in on the flop or turn with his nut trips.

11-21-2005 01:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Ya, it's well known just having a nut low isn't much of a hand in pot limit. And it's not all that great in limit. You need something else to get involved, or at least position so you can possibly try a bluff and hog the entire pot. But that's it, actually--with just the nut low, you're usually playing for only half the pot and that's a no-no in 08.

[/ QUOTE ]

In PL I think you have to take this advice with a grain of salt. In a short-handed game, naked nut low is often a strong enough hand to take down the whole pot, *especially* when you're OOP. Being first to act, you can lead at the pot for maximum bets and put pressure on weak highs to fold. Occasionally you'll run into another nut low that quarters you, but just as often your naked nut low will turn into a nice high that will 3/4 or scoop the pot.

IMO folks shouldn't begin from the perspective that naked nut low is a danger hand in PLO8; just use reasonable discretion, and it's very strong.

11-21-2005 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In PL I think you have to take this advice with a grain of salt. In a short-handed game, naked nut low is often a strong enough hand to take down the whole pot, *especially* when you're OOP. Being first to act, you can lead at the pot for maximum bets and put pressure on weak highs to fold. Occasionally you'll run into another nut low that quarters you, but just as often your naked nut low will turn into a nice high that will 3/4 or scoop the pot.

IMO folks shouldn't begin from the perspective that naked nut low is a danger hand in PLO8; just use reasonable discretion, and it's very strong.

[/ QUOTE ]

The force in this one is very strong.