Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Mouse in apartment, help?? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=377454)

Schneids 11-13-2005 08:56 AM

Mouse in apartment, help??

So some roomies and I watching Lost episodes, and we see this thing quickly run across the kitchen... hoping a mouse, and...Ummm how can we lure it out/get it out of our apartment? We think it might be under our fridge right now but we aren't sure, and likewise, are wimps so we are unwilling to check (kitchen setup makes it no easy way to check without getting right next to the fridge). Is there anything they eat that can lure them out or any other clever ideas to force it out of our place?

partygirluk 11-13-2005 09:03 AM

Re: Mouse in apartment, help??

Standard bait is some cheese.
If you can get hold of a cat that is a viable alternative.

Eurotrash 11-13-2005 09:07 AM

I actually had a mouse in my room a couple summers ago. it was pretty clever, too. He would wait until the lights were out and I was trying to sleep, and only then would he come out. It would somehow scale the furniture in my room to get onto a table and nibble at a loaf of bread I had there.

so, I dunno.. you could try a slice of bread?

Yeti 11-13-2005 09:07 AM

Get a trap.

partygirluk 11-13-2005 09:08 AM

If food fails, go to your local pet store and get a female mouse. No way he will be able to resist that one (presuming it is a he). Be careful not to let her out of your sight though, mice breed like crazy.

KaneKungFu123 11-13-2005 09:09 AM

Mmmmmmm, mouse.

Schneids 11-13-2005 09:11 AM

omg they are scary horrible rodent creatures and diablo says it'll probably crawl up my bunghole when i try to go to sleep... I wanna sleep now but I so can't till I know where it is (ie not in the apartment). I'm too afraid to go into my room since that's one of the possible places it could be [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

BOTW 11-13-2005 09:14 AM

Doritos bag with crumbs.

Lights out.

Wait for the crinkly sound.

Release in local park or flush--little dudes are cute and can swim pretty well--like a floater with spunk. (I only flushed him cuz he got in my bed and nibbled my finger tip drawing blood...)

Eurotrash 11-13-2005 09:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Doritos bag with crumbs.

Lights out.

Release in local park or flush--little dudes are cute and can swim pretty well--like a floater with spunk. (I only flushed him cuz he got in my bed and nibbled my finger tip drawing blood...)

[/ QUOTE ]

this Doritos bag trap sounds like it'll work pretty well. I'd give it a try, Schneids.

partygirluk 11-13-2005 09:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
omg they are scary horrible rodent creatures and diablo says it'll probably crawl up my bunghole when i try to go to sleep... I wanna sleep now but I so can't till I know where it is (ie not in the apartment). I'm too afraid to go into my room since that's one of the possible places it could be [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ffs it is a mouse? Seriously, what are you scared of? It can't harm you. The only reason you can't find it is because it is [censored] scared of you.

Schneids 11-13-2005 09:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Doritos bag with crumbs.

Lights out.

[/ QUOTE ]

this Doritos bag trap sounds like it'll work pretty well. I'd give it a try, Schneids.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like it would be able to escape the bag before you can grab it and close it on them... am i missing something? This [censored] was QUICK.

Eurotrash 11-13-2005 09:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Doritos bag with crumbs.

Lights out.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like it would be able to escape the bag before you can grab it and close it on them... am i missing something? This [censored] was QUICK.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, no doubt they're quick. but I think if you can get him preoccupied with the Dorito crumbs way inside the bag you'll have enough time to creep up and close up the bag.

edit: this makeshift trap is just a suggestion though. you could just gamble by going to sleep and hoping it doesnt crawl up your ass [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

BOTW 11-13-2005 09:28 AM

He'll be too busy eating the crumbs at the bottom of the bag to realize he is about to meet his doom.

My sample size is small, but I knew his approximate location and he was in the bag within a minute or two after turning out the lights. Not even a mighty mouse can resist Nacho Cheesier! Doritos® Brand Tortilla Chips.

whiskeytown 11-13-2005 09:32 AM

I had a mouse problem in my practice space -

I took a shoebox, tied a piece of string to a straw that barely propped it up at one end (just like the stupid Bugs Bunny cartoons) but ran the string up and inside thru a small hole in the top so if something grabbed the bait, it could be triggered from in the box.

I then tied a chicken mcnugget to the string and waited - (I noticed in the practice space it had raided my leftover mcnuggets - I don't think they ever actually spoil or mold - LOL) -

if the mouse pulled the string, it pulled the straw inwards and the box fell flat trapping the mouse...again, like Bugs.

the first time I was gone and he chewed his way out thru the top.

second time the bastard got the string untied without triggering the straw

the third time I heard him and snuck up and just pushed the box down from behind the counter though I think it would have eventually triggered. I took the shoebox lid, slid it under, and opened it up outside and nearly had a stroke.

I had caught THREE mice, not one - guess they like chicken mcnuggets [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

behind my band's practice space is an African food market - I figured the little bastards came from there so I released them in the field we share and hoped they went for warmer pastures.

nice and humane. And DON'T tell me you're too big of a pussy to hold a box with a mouse in it...phuleese -

RB

Schneids 11-13-2005 09:38 AM

What Diablo is saying to me makes me even more scared:

d: your only worry is
d: if it is an outside mouse
d: and has rabies
d: otherwise, mouse no real worry
d: http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/co...ract/115/2/274
S: oh sweet i'm probably going to die tonight
d: does it seem like an outside or inside mouse?
d: if inside mouse, small chance of rabies
d: if outside mouse, large chance of rabies
S: i don't know the difference yet
S: it's pretty damn small
d: if small
d: it is prob outside mouse
d: inside mouse gets big w/ food scraps
d: outside mouse forages, little food
d: ugh
d: i assume you have not had rabies vaccine for any reason?
S: no other than the typical shots you get when you go to college
d: yeah
d: that's not rabies
d: man
d: rabies SUCKS if you get it
d: even if you possibly get it
S: i dunno, we know where it is right now
d: you gotta take like 30 shots in your stomach
S: to an extent
d: well, like i said
d: do not get your fingers
d: anywhere near it
d: it will bite, which wont hurt
S: alright so it sounds like we shouldn't try to catch it
d: but you will get rabies likely
S: yeah, we will try to shooo it out of our place
d: if it turns towards you, looks angry, disoriented
d: that is more likely rabid
d: if it is passive, not scurrying too much
d: prob not rabid
S: what do you mean by "not scurrying too much"?
S: in a lil over an hour, i've seen it run across the room once to go under the oven
S: and a second time he peeked his head out a few minutes ago and ran back under the oven
S: is that not too rabid?
d: well, the fact that he came out
d: after seeing you
d: is not a great sign
d: gl
S: i see. we have all doors closed off, are in living room, and have door to go out of our apartment open... basically watching that direction [kitchen] while TV on.... hoping to see it eventually leaves.

11-13-2005 09:47 AM

This is for all your greats posts that I have learned something from.

Go to home depot/lowes/etc. Buy a mousetrap.. don't be cheap. Make sure it is along side a wall and close to where you know it is or travels. Most will have instructions on how to place it. Any animal will do anything to free itself so it you want something it can't get out of. Bait it with something good.

P.S. It is probably a rat and has the bubonic plague. Rabies suck the black death blows.

Eurotrash 11-13-2005 10:07 AM

if BOTW's Dorito trap fails, I took a few minutes to Paint a different, albeit slightly more complicated, setup

http://img472.imageshack.us/img472/1...usetrap7gi.jpg

the lettered areas are pertinent action points. with any luck you can follow the diagram and have the necessary materials

partygirluk 11-13-2005 10:09 AM

Haha, Diablo is winding you up. The only creatures that carry rabies are dogs (perhaps other canines too), bats, and squirrels. (Any mammal CAn get it, but it is very unlikely in mice.)

RacersEdge 11-13-2005 10:13 AM

Make one of those chlorine gas pits they used to capture King Kong.

TheMetetron 11-13-2005 10:14 AM

I seriously am still laughing out loud after like 5 minutes.

Easily POTD!

BOTW 11-13-2005 10:15 AM

If he has rabies he will die in a week or so, so you can just wait him out.

Is action point 'C' where you use the suckling mouse brain vaccine?

11-13-2005 10:16 AM

I wonder if anyone has ever tried the board game mousetrap on a real mouse.

Schneids 11-13-2005 10:33 AM

That was a fun board game but unfortunately it won't change the fact I'm so scared and hearing little whistling-like noises occasionally and so tired and wanting to sleep but refusing to till I know it's either dead or out of my place [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Oh well, me and another roomie are up till one of our 6 others wake up then they can deal with it.

Haven't gotten bitten yet [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

fnord_too 11-13-2005 10:42 AM

Please tell me you are not serious in this thread. A mouse is about a one ounce critter who is terrified of you, he won't be starting anything if he can help it. Get a trap, bait it with penut butter, dead mouse within an hour (or extremely wounded mouse you will have the painful chore of mercy killing).

Lazymeatball 11-13-2005 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Haha, Diablo is winding you up. The only creatures that carry rabies are dogs (perhaps other canines too), bats, and squirrels. (Any mammal CAn get it, but it is very unlikely in mice.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, so many contradictions in one post. First, there are no other canines besides dogs. Do you mean things related to dogs like foxes or weasels? You admit that any mammal can get rabies, and then go on to say only this small set of mammals gets rabies. You've never heard of rabid racoons, possums, cats, etc.? I agree that rabies isn't your greatest concern with mice, as the most effective way of transferring rabies is through bites or (less likely) scrathces, most of which will kill the mouse at the time of the incident.But they do carry lots of other diseases.

And to correct El D, who probably know whats up anyways, you no longer need a series of injection into your abdomen to get rid of rabies. When i got exposed to rabies I needed two large shots in my ass and one small shot in my arm. After that I got the same shot in my arm 3 days later, 7 days later, 14 and then 28 days later, and that should keep me vaccinated for a long time.

emil3000 11-13-2005 11:04 AM

Checked out my microbiology book about the epidemiology of rabies. Nothing is mentioned about rats, however cats, skunks , raccoons, badgers, foxes are mentioned as carriers of the disease. In the US the major carriers are cats, since they are not vaccinated.

wacki 11-13-2005 11:12 AM

http://www.pestproducts.com/multi-catch-mouse-trap.htm
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...ogle&hl=en

BOTW 11-13-2005 11:15 AM

Rabies is really rare.

However, the diseases present in the Americas include: the plague (Yersinia pestis), salmonellosis (S. typhimurium; S. enteritidis); leptospirosis (L. icterohaemorragiae); murine typhus (Rickettsia typhi); rickettsialpox (R. akari); lymphocytic choriomeningitis (arenavirus); rat-bite fever (Spirilum minus, Streptobacillus monilifomis); Hantavirus hemorrhagic pulmonary syndrome; hemorrhagic fevers (Arenavirus); Venezuelan equine encephalitis (alphavirus); Powassan encephalitis (Flavivirus); rabies; Rocky Mountain spotted fever (R. rickettsii); and tularemia (Francisella tularensis), as well as parasitisms, such as trichinosis (Trichinella spiralis); eosinophilic meningitis (Angiostrongylius cantonensis); and taeniasis (Hymenolepis nana or H. diminuta). http://www.paho.org/english/dd/ped/te_rdes.htm

So, it is probably not a good idea to let him near your bunghole.

rory 11-13-2005 11:18 AM

Your apartment is FUBAR. Nail your roommates doors shut and set the place on fire and get the hell out. It's the only way. gogogogo

partygirluk 11-13-2005 11:22 AM

There are plenty of other canines besides dogs. Wolves, foxes, coyotes, jackals etc.

cwsiggy 11-13-2005 11:24 AM

The greatest food to get them out and into the trap to snap their neck is ....... peanut butter. I had two in my house once and put two traps out with peanut butter. Within 1 minute.. snap!!! two more minutes .... snap!!! they must have been hungry.

11-13-2005 11:42 AM

Since cats and traps have already been suggested, here's a method I've used successfully. Get a spoon, some peanut butter, and a large shoe. Put the pb on the spoon and place it about 6 inches from what you think the mouse is under. Stand very still over the spoon with the shoe poised in spider-killing position. Mice are very curious and not too bright...just don't move. When it comes to get the peanut butter, WHAP!! The mouse will bounce about a foot in the air and scare the hell out of you, but scream like a little girl and hit it again. And again. Put dead mouse in plastic bag and dispose of, then clean up the peanut butter that is by now spattered around the room. Go get a shot of whiskey to get rid of your heebie jeebies. Works every time!!

SomethingClever 11-13-2005 11:55 AM

Rabies isn't your only concern. Deer mice carry the Hanta virus.

Do a google search.

Basically, you don't want to come into much contact with their droppings. If you see some, DON'T vacuum them up.

SuitedSixes 11-13-2005 11:58 AM

TRIP REPORT: I hate meeses to pieces!

I moved into a new house towards the end of September. I began to notice droppings and other signs of rodent inhabitation in the garage. The hole that the mouse (or mice) lived in was directly opposite my daughter's bedroom. Enter the moral dilemma.

In my daughter's room, she has a hamster (Mousey). I was having problems justifying killing one member of the rodent family while feeding another. So I decided to get a humane trap. It was a simple plastic box that was see-through that had a door that was light enough for a mouse to push in, but couldn't be pushed backwards.

I baited in with a ball of peanut butter covered in birdseed that we have for "Mousey." Within 5 minutes of setting the trap in the garage I had captured a mouse. I took it to the construction site next door and emptied the trap into a trash dumpster.

I got a mouse the next day too, and the next, and the next, and the next.

I began to suspect that I was dealing with a fellow willing to exchange a few minutes in a plastic box and a trip to the dumpster in exchange for a ball of peanut butter covered in bird seed.

Moral dilemma ignored, it was time to kill.

I bought a 4-pack of those old-school spring-loaded traps at Wal-Mart for $2.19, returned home, baited two with peanut butter, and waited. The next morning I went into the garage to find that the peanut butter had been picked clean off the traps, but neither had sprung. I re-baited (not the 'bate that I am best at) and found the same result the following morning and the next. By Wednesday, I was thoroughly pissed and decided to not feed the mouse that night.

Thursday afternoon, I went into the garage to find that both traps had sprung and I had two very dead mice. Evidentally, I had programmed their tiny rodent brains to eat a peanut butter treat every night, and when their snack was unavailable they thoroughly searched the trap and got whacked. Victory was mine!

I put them in the rollout garbage can in my garage and wheeled it out to the curb for the Thursday pickup (the construction dumper is gone). Problem was that I had been too late, and so I had rotting mouse carcass in my garage. By Monday the smell was hideous, so I wheeled the can out of the garage and placed it by the side of the house.

The following Morning I had a notice on my door from the home owner's association informing me that leaving my garbage out of the garage was a violation of the neighborhood code (never mind the fact that the can was parked right next to the Port-O-John for the construction site next door).

I wheeled the dumpster around to the front yard where it rested until Wednesday evening when I moved it to the curb (I wasn't taking any chances).

In conclusion, I hate mices.

Los Feliz Slim 11-13-2005 12:58 PM

Here's your real problem: where there is one mouse, there are undoubtedly more. In your walls, under your floorboards, in your ceiling. Like, hundreds. Crawling all over you while you sleep. Until you address the various access points that mouse nation has into your apartment, you'll never be safe.

Lazymeatball 11-13-2005 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are plenty of other canines besides dogs. Wolves, foxes, coyotes, jackals etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I take it back, the canidae family includes jackals, foxes, coyotes, wolves, etc. I was wrong.

SackUp 11-13-2005 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if BOTW's Dorito trap fails, I took a few minutes to Paint a different, albeit slightly more complicated, setup

http://img472.imageshack.us/img472/1...usetrap7gi.jpg

the lettered areas are pertinent action points. with any luck you can follow the diagram and have the necessary materials

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the only clear answer.

HHAHAHAHAH

Schneids 11-13-2005 05:25 PM

UPDATE

Roomie and I finally gave up and went to sleep around 9:45amET. Had towels under door to room so pretty sure it felt safe. Woke up 4pm eastern time, no idea where mouse is now, roomie says he heard it running through our vents last night. Apparentlyt his mouse (or others like it) have also been seen in few other peoples' places right around us.

CORed 11-13-2005 05:29 PM

If you saw one mouse; most likely there are several in the apartment. Your options are traps, poison or a cat.

Yeti 11-13-2005 05:29 PM

Re: UPDATE

Dude, just leave some traps out.