Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   I'm thinking not raising with top set is a good idea (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=347578)

gh9801 09-30-2005 10:55 AM

I\'m thinking not raising with top set is a good idea

Party Poker 5.00/10.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: (13.40 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, Button calls.

Turn: (7.70 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises...</font>

Button 14.6/9.23/2.23 over 3338 hands. He generally respects me but probably knows I am running ridiculously bad right now (he is at 3 of my tables.) However, I'm not showing any signs of tilt because I'm not. After preflop I think villain knows I have a premium here ~100% of the time

So, is there any point to threebetting this turn? Think before you flame

Fat Nicky 09-30-2005 10:59 AM

Re: I\'m thinking not raising with top set is a good idea

I wouldn't raise.

sean c 09-30-2005 11:00 AM

3-betting is no good you have outs if behind.

gh9801 09-30-2005 11:03 AM

Is it really that obvious to not threebet? I'm thinking I'm playing weak tight because I'm running horribly (I didn't raise the turn and c/called river UI)

@bsolute_luck 09-30-2005 11:09 AM

i wouldn't. he has to figure you for AA-TT, AK. so he knows you have 3 of a kind and still raised you, plus if he doesn't have a K, he'll fold to a 3-bet here if he has a lower 3-of-a-kind.

but i'm wondering about the river. could we call the turn and bet into him again on the river? i just don't think i could lay it down to a raise though, so i don't know if that's a good idea.

peterchi 09-30-2005 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it really that obvious to not threebet? I'm thinking I'm playing weak tight because I'm running horribly (I didn't raise the turn and c/called river UI)

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it's fairly obvious. If you 3-bet, he'll cap with K and that sucks because you kinda still have to call down here. He also might fold if you're ahead, whereas otherwise he may have taken another shot at the river.

Basically you have to hope he's overplaying a strong hand without a K, and 3-betting is gonna slow him down if he is doing that.

So you win the least, and lose the most, if you 3-bet.

So therefore, nh.

gh9801 09-30-2005 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i wouldn't. he has to figure you for AA-TT, AK. so he knows you have 3 of a kind and still raised you, plus if he doesn't have a K, he'll fold to a 3-bet here if he has a lower 3-of-a-kind.

but i'm wondering about the river. could we call the turn and bet into him again on the river? i just don't think i could lay it down to a raise though, so i don't know if that's a good idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

After the turn raise I think I have to assume he has AK or KK and just c/call river, but I'm not sure if this is the right thinking. He could have a worse set.... maybe...?

09-30-2005 11:16 AM

I think there is no point to three betting the turn. Any K gives your opponent broadway. In that case, your only out is the case ace. Calling and check/calling on the river may be best.

sean c 09-30-2005 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think there is no point to three betting the turn. Any K gives your opponent broadway. In that case, your only out is the case ace. Calling and check/calling on the river may be best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sonesta you are missing some outs. Do you see?

gh9801 09-30-2005 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it's fairly obvious. If you 3-bet, he'll cap with K and that sucks because you kinda still have to call down here. He also might fold if you're ahead, whereas otherwise he may have taken another shot at the river.

Basically you have to hope he's overplaying a strong hand without a K, and 3-betting is gonna slow him down if he is doing that.

So you win the least, and lose the most, if you 3-bet.

So therefore, nh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds good