Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Would the world be better............... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=225292)

JGalt 04-03-2005 03:47 PM

Would the world be better...............

gamblore99 04-03-2005 03:55 PM

Re: Would the world be better...............

I would guess no. but the world without religion would be way to hard to imagine. it may not be even possible

jakethebake 04-03-2005 03:55 PM

Wow! An excellent question! Even non-belivers may not believe the world would be better w/o it.

jakethebake 04-03-2005 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the world without religion would be way to hard to imagine. it may not be even possible

[/ QUOTE ]

That has nothing to do with the question.

TimM 04-03-2005 04:01 PM

Not possible.

I'd settle for secular governments and laws, and religion being a private matter and not something to be pushed on others.

jesusarenque 04-03-2005 04:02 PM

Yes, and it is a joke to say otherwise.

jakethebake 04-03-2005 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily. Religion gives people hope and comfort. It also provides an incentive against certain non-desired behaviors.

jesusarenque 04-03-2005 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily. Religion gives people hope and comfort. It also provides an incentive against certain non-desired behaviors.

[/ QUOTE ]

It also incites ignorance and hatred. In addition, it provides an incentive against many desired behaviors.

jakethebake 04-03-2005 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It also incites ignorance and hatred. In addition, it provides an incentive against many desired behaviors.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't necessarily disagree. I'm just saying it's not all bad and certainly debatable. I think it's pretty much safe to say therte would still be ingorance. Religion fills a void that could be filled with worse things.

Broken Glass Can 04-03-2005 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The biggest impact is on children. Those from a religious background as a group thrive and contribute to society more than those without religious support.

I know many parents who only start going to church again once their kids are toddlers, because they realize that this would be a good thing for their kids.