Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Boring KK hand (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=406215)

Chaostracize 12-27-2005 10:49 PM

Boring KK hand

Live at the FW 5/5 game

I have been playing for about an hour. I've been playing pretty snug (for me). I have about 4k behind. Villain has about the same.

Villain has also been pretty snug and he seems ABC.

Villain raises UTG + 1 to 50. I cold call in MP1 with black KK. Rest fold.

Flop comes: Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Pot = 110

He thinks. Checks. I check behind.

Turn: Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]) Pot = 110

He bets 75 pretty quickly. I call.

River: Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]) Pot = 260

Villain thinks. Villain bets 75. I raise to 300.

I'm pretty sure this is standard. My real question is how often do people bet the flop, call C/R? Fold/raise turn? Is the amount on river too much if villain has no Q?

hit_the_set 12-27-2005 11:06 PM

Re: Boring KK hand

Can you explain your reasoning behind not betting the flop? I am betting this flop in most situations.

Chaostracize 12-27-2005 11:21 PM

Because against this villain I think his range is REALLY small raising to 10x the BB first in. I'm either absolutely crushed or absolutely crushing. Plus we're so deep I don't need to inflate this pot or anything.

TheWorstPlayer 12-27-2005 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is the amount on river too much if villain has no Q?

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course it is. But who cares? So is 200. So is 150. The important point is that it is too SMALL if he DOES have a Q or an underboat. I think you should make it 500 on the river. The rest is a standard line. Of course there are others, too.

fsuplayer 12-28-2005 12:01 AM

i would bomb the river.

500 at least.

RikaKazak 12-28-2005 01:13 AM

Hey,
I like a bomb at the river or $300, either way is fine. I would never bet any less than $300 though.

12-28-2005 01:19 AM

I agree with theworstplayer, its not like your getting called here even for only 300 by less than a queen, especially given that you have two of the three kings covered. May as well bet 500+ and see what hes willing to spend on trips.

12-28-2005 01:42 AM

reraise pre flop to 150-200 at least

bet flop pot size

RikaKazak 12-28-2005 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
reraise pre flop to 150-200 at least

bet flop pot size

u declined to do this and on the river u want to kick into high gear

its a little late for that considering the 2 q's on the board so just call

[/ QUOTE ]

either A.) you're a complete moron, or B.) (more likely) you didn't see the river was a KING!

12-28-2005 02:05 AM

srry didnt see 4 some reason

its late

ahnuld 12-28-2005 03:26 AM

I reraise preflop, I dont care who its against if I have position and KK. I bet this flop when checked to also.

Black Peter 12-28-2005 03:42 AM

I bet the flop.

$600 on the river. He'll call with the Q. He won't call squat without it.

Black Peter 12-28-2005 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Because against this villain I think his range is REALLY small raising to 10x the BB first in. I'm either absolutely crushed or absolutely crushing.

[/ QUOTE ]
All the more reason to bet the flop (reasonable size) to find out where you are.

Black Peter 12-28-2005 03:46 AM

LOL. Everyone makes mistakes.

flawless_victory 12-28-2005 04:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i would bomb the river.

500 at least.

[/ QUOTE ]
AT LEAST.
AATT LLEEAASSTT.

mikech 12-28-2005 04:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure this is standard.

[/ QUOTE ]
i'm pretty sure none of this is standard. standard would be: reraise preflop, bet flop, check turn, blast river.

Chaostracize 12-28-2005 10:16 AM

That is horrible reasoning.

Chaostracize 12-28-2005 10:17 AM

This is bad. I guess I should have stated the 25 is around the standard raise. 50 stood out here. Since I have position and a good hand isn't this a reason to cold call preflop?

Chaostracize 12-28-2005 10:19 AM

Yeah, I could have RRed pf and bet flop, but since we're playing 800 BBs deep I don't know when to and when not to practice pot control.

His raise to 50 limited his hand range by a LOT and even pf I just wanted to get this hand to showdown cheaply. Is this bad?

TheWorstPlayer 12-28-2005 10:33 AM

With the second nuts, it's probably playing a bit too scared to be thinking about a cheap showdown even with 800bbs. With 800bbs, I usually like to re-raise pretty big so that I can get value while I feel comfortable with my hand (which is going to be preflop unless I hit a set here) and still knowing that I'll have plenty of room to get away from my hand postflop.

There are other good reasons to flat call preflop, though, IMO.

12-28-2005 02:45 PM

the villian is 4000 deep and kk is 2nd best hand

i want to get the pot big before we see a flop and thats hard to do with pf raise to 50

if he folds to a preflop raise no big deal he wasnt that strong to began with

Chaostracize 12-29-2005 04:39 AM

RESULTS

In retrospect this hand is pretty non standard, but to me at the time I felt it was 100% standard with the range I put villain on.

PF I felt his hand was only TT-AA maybe AK (although I'm really just saying that to satisfy people... Iwas about 95% sure it was AA). His standard raises were like 25 and to raise 50 that early signified real strength to me.

The Q, in my opinion, is the worst possible card to hit. AA has me beat, QQ has me beat, and TT-JJ shuts down. In my mind once the flop hits I'm WA/WB (unless it's AK, which I just did not think said player would play this way, I'm fairly certain he would have limped or made a standard raise).

Anyway, I'm more than happy to check behind. Once the turn comes I have no problem seeing a showdown as I believe JJ and TT bet this turn.

On the river I think my main concern should be to make the most out of a big hand and not the most out of AA. Like usual, I made the worst bet here. The raise to 300 shows way too much strength. I think a push here is infinitely better.

Anyway, I bet and villain thought for about thirty seconds and did the Matador move to show me his AA and folded.

On a non-related note I am heading to the airport in 20 minutes. I couldn't sleep last night. But Dear God I am excited.

Signing off until next year...