Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   EV of playing in high-limit games with pros on FTP (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=206023)

ClaytonN 03-03-2005 12:57 AM

EV of playing in high-limit games with pros on FTP

Saw a certain 2+2'er playing some 15/30 LHE with Perry Friedman (and at times, David Grey). Perry's a semi-pro, but I'm fairly sure David Grey is known for playing in really, really high stakes games.

Things I would openly consider:

1) Level of play of FTP pro playing stakes significantly lower than what they usually play
2) Abilities of FTP pro regardless
3) Attraction of lesser-skilled players to higher limits for the "celebrity factor"

Is a 15/30 game with an FTP pro better or worse than a normal game?

What are your thoughts on this?

Nate tha' Great 03-03-2005 01:39 AM

Re: EV of playing in high-limit games with pros on FTP

I don't think a high-limit pro is going to have all that much higher an expectation in that game than an ordinary top-tier 2+2er would, even if the pro is playing close to their best. Just a wild guess, but I'd estimate that the difference between say a 0.5 BB/100 winner and a 1.5 BB/100 winner in a 1000/2000 LHE game wouldn't amount to more than a difference of say .25 BB/100 in a typical 15/30 game against largely unknown opponents.

AceHigh 03-03-2005 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not how good the best players are it's how bad the worst players are. I can make money being the 7th best player at the table if the 8th, 9th and 10th are very bad. I can't make money if Perry Friedman is one of the worst players at the table [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Plus a lot of times the winrate isn't that different between the top few players at a table even if a few of them excel at higher limit tables.

JihadOnTheRiver 03-03-2005 01:37 PM

Negative.

DcifrThs 03-03-2005 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Saw a certain 2+2'er playing some 15/30 LHE with Perry Friedman (and at times, David Grey). Perry's a semi-pro, but I'm fairly sure David Grey is known for playing in really, really high stakes games.

Things I would openly consider:

1) Level of play of FTP pro playing stakes significantly lower than what they usually play
2) Abilities of FTP pro regardless
3) Attraction of lesser-skilled players to higher limits for the "celebrity factor"

Is a 15/30 game with an FTP pro better or worse than a normal game?

[/ QUOTE ]

i think i'd be happy as a clam if you put me at a table with 5 2+2ers and 5 fish.

even if all of those 2+2ers were 2x as good as me it would still be a profitable game b/c of the fish that are there...

-Barron

thwang99 03-03-2005 06:06 PM

There's that game at the Hustler in LA where it's all top pro's and Larry Flynt, it's pretty high, I think the buyin is $250k!