Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Beginners Questions (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Do you like "just calling" w/ AA from EP? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=365135)

Toddy 10-25-2005 01:07 PM

Do you like \"just calling\" w/ AA from EP?

This is one of my favorite plays in Holdem. I will do this with Kings also sometimes. Seems like there is always a raise behind me and then I can re raise. If everyone just calls oh well and I'll have no problem folding it after the flop if I HAVE to. If the blinds are really big I will raise with it. I'm talking early in a MTT or SNG.

warewulf 10-25-2005 01:35 PM

Re: Do you like \"just calling\" w/ AA from EP?

Sometimes it can work out. Other times it will bite you in the ass. Yesterday I was playing a sng online and got pocket aces utg so I checked it. Blinds were 25/50, Someone late in position raises it up to 200. I made it 600 and he called. Flop is QQx. I check, he checks. Turn is another rag so I go all in. He calls, turns over Q7o. I don't know why he called my re-raise, but obviously I wasn't happy.

Toddy 10-25-2005 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes it can work out. Other times it will bite you in the ass. Yesterday I was playing a sng online and got pocket aces utg so I checked it. Blinds were 25/50, Someone late in position raises it up to 200. I made it 600 and he called. Flop is QQx. I check, he checks. Turn is another rag so I go all in. He calls, turns over Q7o. I don't know why he called my re-raise, but obviously I wasn't happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

DONK strikes again!

Guthrie 10-25-2005 01:58 PM

He called your re-raise because he had a card with a picture on it. That's usually enough.

warewulf 10-25-2005 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He called your re-raise because he had a card with a picture on it. That's usually enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

That must have been it. Pretty pictures! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

SenecaJim 10-26-2005 07:39 AM

Depends on your table, who is on your left and seated where. In general, at least at 5-10, this play cost you more than it earns you.

SenecaJim 10-26-2005 07:41 AM

whoops, didn't read carefully. You were speaking of tournaments, I was speaking cash ring game. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Iolaus 10-26-2005 07:44 AM

I do this very occasionally to mix up my pre-flop play. I use the suits to determine when I do this, so every time I get the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] I'll try to limp/re-raise from EP.

pipster 10-26-2005 09:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you got him to put in 15x the BB or so with Q/7 vs your AA? I would encourage him to do this every time... in NL a limp/reraise is about the only way to play AA from early position. Any reasonable raise will just get called (probably by to many people) and a big raise will get you only the blinds. Limp/reraise will often "anger" them and get them to call with a hand they would have folded if you had raised out early.

Not sure how well it works at 50/100 limit or 1000 buy-in NL as I don't play that high... but I would imagine those guys don't fall for it. But at 100 NL and 3/6 Limit they fall for it EVERY time.

Toddy 10-26-2005 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I do this very occasionally to mix up my pre-flop play. I use the suits to determine when I do this, so every time I get the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] I'll try to limp/re-raise from EP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good Theory! [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]