Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Flop check (live play) (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=401485)

PokerSparky 12-19-2005 05:09 PM

Flop check (live play)

I had my ass handed to me at a 4/8 table at Commerce last weekend, and my confidence is shaken. Should I be making a continuation bet on this flop? My instincts said no, but I'm reevaluating my entire game for leaks.

Commerce 4/8

Table is all loose passives.

I'm UTG+1 with AJo

UTG limps, I raise, 2 cold callers, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: K 4 8 rainbow

BB Checks, UTG Checks, I check...

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie) 12-19-2005 05:12 PM

Re: Flop check (live play)

Looks fine. Against four loose-passive opponenets you can check-fold this flop every time.

@bsolute_luck 12-19-2005 05:23 PM

i usually fire, but the 2 changes i've made after that is:

1. judging whether to bet the turn again if i hit my Jack
2. that i should fold the flop if raised because they're not bluffing or raising a lone 8.

my 2 cents anyways, but typically with only 1 face card and a rainbow flop, i typically fire again.

Redd 12-19-2005 05:39 PM

Given the number and nature of our opponents, I agree with the check here.

It's true that the ragged K-high flop is is a hard one for most people to call, but because there's so many loose passives still in the hand our fold-equity isn't great and the chance that we still have the best hand is marginal.

silkyslim 12-19-2005 05:51 PM

yah this is a good check. against fewer opponents i would bet or if I actually had 2 overs to the board it might change my mind. what will happen is that you will bet, get 2-3 callers, one of which will have at least a pair, if not a pair of kings, and you will be drawing to your 3 aces which may be reverse dominated.

onegymrat 12-20-2005 01:42 PM

Hi Sparky,

The check is fine. Looks like a showdown table here. To go against the subject a bit, I prefer a limp to a raise preflop. You will not clear the field preflop with a raise and will more often than not, run into this situation where the spotlight will be on you.

@bsolute_luck 12-20-2005 03:46 PM

so you guys are then folding if anyone bets?

Nikademus 12-20-2005 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Most likely, yes. Let it go and find another spot. I've bled too often in these situations.

onegymrat 12-20-2005 08:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]SilkySlim said it well: yah this is a good check. against fewer opponents i would bet or if I actually had 2 overs to the board it might change my mind. what will happen is that you will bet, get 2-3 callers, one of which will have at least a pair, if not a pair of kings, and you will be drawing to your 3 aces which may be reverse dominated.