Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   5/10 NL on UB - JT on the JJ5 flop (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=122028)

ZeeJustin 09-09-2004 12:13 AM

5/10 NL on UB - JT on the JJ5 flop

7 handed 5/10 NL on UB. I have everyone at the table covered w/ a stack of $1619.

UTG folds. UTG+1 ($1124) limps. UTG+2 folds. I call w/ J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Button folds. SB ($263) calls. BB ($589) checks.

Flop: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (Pot: $40)

SB bets $40. BB folds. UTG+1 minraises to $80. I call. SB calls.

Turn: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($280)

SB checks. UTG+1 bets $280.

What's my play here? If I call, what's my plan on the river?

1800GAMBLER 09-09-2004 12:44 AM

Re: 5/10 NL on UB - JT on the JJ5 flop

TJo

johnsy 09-09-2004 01:16 AM

i dont like the call on the flop......i dont think your hand is good

pocketdueces81 09-09-2004 01:47 AM

Do you have any reads on the players your against. Are they LAP's LPP's ?

Given the minimum raise I would think that you have kicker problems. Would your opponents raise with hands like AJo or QJs/KJs? What about pocket fives.

If you dont think the above then call the turn, like you did on the flop. Be ready for a big river bet....if you dont have the guts to call this, recognize it on fourth street and lay it down.

With that being said and your stack size... I would have pushed the flop a little further rather than smooth calling. He minimum raised to 80 why not come back over the top for like $200. With the raise you might be able to gain some insight into your opponents hand while not risking a large chunk of your stack. Just calling is a sign of weakness hence the large turn bet that you faced.

ThePopinjay 09-09-2004 01:48 AM

how weak are you?

if you don't think his hand is good you're crazy! calling the flop is fine, because you have position and can slowplay this monster. on the turn i would call as well, however it is heavily read dependent.

greywolf 09-09-2004 03:29 AM

perhaps its just that i play too much PLO or maybe im way too weak tight. but i would think you have a kicker problem. After all theres a bet and a min raise before the action comes to you. In a small unraised pot people arent likely to get fancy trying to run a bluff by min raising theres no way that is happening. One of them almost surely has a jack probably the min raiser. The question being is your kicker any good? I think not, unless maybe if hes really loose so that he would actually play hands like J5s.

greywolf 09-09-2004 03:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With that being said and your stack size... I would have pushed the flop a little further rather than smooth calling. He minimum raised to 80 why not come back over the top for like $200. With the raise you might be able to gain some insight into your opponents hand while not risking a large chunk of your stack. Just calling is a sign of weakness hence the large turn bet that you faced.

[/ QUOTE ] There is also a problem with that. If one of the two raisers has 555 or a stronger jack and decides to push after Hero comes over the top. Hero would probably have folded fearing a FH or kicker problems and by folding destreoyed his chances of improving on turn and taking down a big pot.

ZeeJustin 09-09-2004 04:19 AM

Please don't start a preflop debate. It's not like I'm calling a reraise with KTo. If my preflop play is -ev, it's only by a very small amount.

ZeeJustin 09-09-2004 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont like the call on the flop......i dont think your hand is good

[/ QUOTE ]

You're crazy [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Jon Matthews 09-09-2004 05:09 AM

I agree with deuces, since there's already been action, you need to raise that flop for information.

I don't agree with calling and seeing what the turn brings, you are unlikely to improve and it's going to cost you more to continue, you need to know where you are now.

Jon