Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Going to get into SNGs again... help a noob out (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=405734)

Python49 12-27-2005 03:36 AM

Going to get into SNGs again... help a noob out

Ok, cash games have ultimately pissed me off to no end for the past 3 months. I have decided that i'm done with them for now and wanted to try to get back into SNGs. Quick questions that i'm sure have been answered somewhere but the search function is giving me hell and i'm having trouble finding the info. (1)What kind of variance can be expected in SNGs? In cash games you can go on 10 buyin down swings for thousands of hands... how about SNGs? (2)What type of bad runs are there, 100's of sngs? 1000's? (3)How often do you post a losing *month* in SNGs... ive posted my first ever losing months in cash recently. Also what type of sample size is meaningful to begin viewing results.

I am starting out at the 55s and would like some general information on how many sng's is good to start analyzing results (such as in cash games, about 10k hands is alright), what type of ROI/ITM is good, any tips/advice.

Thanks.

runner4life7 12-27-2005 03:37 AM

Re: Going to get into SNGs again... help a noob out

i dont think you should start at the 55s

ZBTHorton 12-27-2005 03:39 AM

I began at the 55's w/ no problems. If your an experienced player, you should adjust quickly....although I would begin at the 33's if I had to do it again.

MikeSmith 12-27-2005 03:40 AM

check out 1 table tourney FAQ, around 13% ROI. I say get your feet wet in the 20+2s so that you are adjusted to the play and go from there but hey 50+5s will have plenty of donkish fun as well. good luck

12-27-2005 03:41 AM

Start with the FAQ and then read shadow's post.

1) 20-30 buyin downswings are very common, 45ish is not unheard of... but overall variance is lower than in cash games
2) There's a program floating around that can simulate this based on your stats.
3) Never posted a losing month.
4) After 1000 games you should know if you are playing winning poker, but your ROI still wont be very accurate until you play a few thousand more.

Also, don't start at the 55s. Start at the $22s and $33s for a month until you've got your game down.

Again, read the FAQ.

runner4life7 12-27-2005 04:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Start with the FAQ and then read shadow's post.

1) 20-30 buyin downswings are very common, 45ish is not unheard of... but overall variance is lower than in cash games
2) There's a program floating around that can simulate this based on your stats.
3) Never posted a losing month.
4) After 1000 games you should know if you are playing winning poker, but your ROI still wont be very accurate until you play a few thousand more.

Also, don't start at the 55s. Start at the $22s and $33s for a month until you've got your game down.

Again, read the FAQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

30ish buy ins happen but they arent really "common" 45ish and there is most likely a bigger problem than variance. You should have a good idea of what range your ROI is after 1000 games. I said to play the 20s or 30s before the 50s because it just seems like a good idea because unless this guy knows how to pushbot well its stupid to play the 50s first, and judging by the variance ?s he isnt a great pushbotter.

rvg72 12-27-2005 05:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is the thread to my simulation program - it is free and you will find the download link there.

ROI Simulator

Of course to use it you need to have some idea of your "true" 1st, 2nd and 3rd place finish frequency. A 20% ROI player will have about a 1 in 500 chance of losing money over 500 SNG's while a 10% ROI player has about a 1 in 16 chance of this happening and the "average" player who finishes in 1st,2nd and 3rd 10% of the time will be down money over 500 SNG's about 90% of the time.

rvg

12-27-2005 05:29 AM

send me a messagw on aim you donk.

12-27-2005 07:14 AM

or u can use a simple spreadsheet...