Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   NYC transit strike is on: Who do you blame? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=401915)

VarlosZ 12-20-2005 06:31 AM

NYC transit strike is on: Who do you blame?

The Transit Worker's Union officially went on strike at about 3 AM, shutting down all of New York City's subways and buses.

Edit: The MTA wants to increase the retirement age for new workers from 55 to 62, and require them (new workers) to contribute an additional 1% (to 3%) of their salary to their pension, and 1% to their health insurance. They propose a 9% raise over three years. Average subway/bus operator salary is in the $50K-$60K range.

The Union's nominal demands are lowering the retirement age to 50, and a 24% raise over three years, but those are almost certainly mere negotiating ploys.

The strike is illegal, and striking members face stiff fines.

handsome 12-20-2005 06:34 AM

Re: NYC transit strike is on: Who do you blame?

This sucks. On a side note: the MTA is run by a bunch of fumbling idiots. NYC subways = horrible service.

Macdaddy Warsaw 12-20-2005 06:39 AM

Um...I've lived in NYC all my life and have never had a problem with the subway. I think you're crazy/don't live in NYC.

VarlosZ 12-20-2005 06:50 AM

Transit workers have a hard job, and I don't begrudge them their high wage and job security. However, the MTA's demands would be considered very generous by the standards of the private sector, and the city has to get its finances in order soon, as pension costs will soon be skyrocketing. There are some very necessary evils on the horizon, and small steps such as the MTA is trying to take are some of the mildest imaginable.

The strike is illegal for good reason. Hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of people will not be able to get to school or work, and Christmas shopping -- already a nightmare in this city -- just got a lot harder. Traffic will be a nightmare all over; I hope no one needs an ambulance today.

Let's throw rocks.

phx 12-20-2005 06:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Um...I've lived in NYC all my life and have never had a problem with the subway. I think you're crazy/don't live in NYC.

[/ QUOTE ]

same here... great service considering the fact theres like 7 mil riding a day here

Paluka 12-20-2005 06:54 AM

I have found that people really hate the MTA and claim the subway service sucks, but I'm not sure why.
Hopefully, I'll be able to get a ride to work at the carpool meeting point in my hood.

handsome 12-20-2005 07:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I took the subway every school day of the year for four years during high school, and took it 5-10x a day for the entire summer last year. IMHO, the delays are too frequent and unbearable. If you have waited on a subway platform for 2+ hours in 110 degree hot & humid conditions, you would know what I mean.

Macdaddy Warsaw 12-20-2005 07:15 AM

That's the thing. In 10 years of taking the subway, I've never waited that long (I doubt I've even waited more than an hour). There's always another way, either another line, or a taxi, or your feet. Given the immense burden subways and buses carry, they perform remarkably well.

PS: What the hell are you doing that requires taking the subway ten times a day?

Evan 12-20-2005 07:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Transit workers have a hard job

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe some do, but I think as a general statement I disagree.

VarlosZ 12-20-2005 07:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I took the subway every school day of the year for four years during high school, and took it 5-10x a day for the entire summer last year. IMHO, the delays are too frequent and unbearable. If you have waited on a subway platform for 2+ hours in 110 degree hot & humid conditions, you would know what I mean.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also took the subway to school every day. I think they do a fine job considering that it's by far the largest subway system in the world. That said, a lot depends on what lines you use. If you commute with the 4-5-6 trains, you're probably happy. If you schlep into Manhattan from Bay Ridge on the N-R trains (stands for "Never Running"), you might feel differently.