Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Wait for Turn in Huge Pot? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=365978)

Argus 10-26-2005 03:27 PM

Wait for Turn in Huge Pot?

UTG is unknown - he limped in so I assume he's weak.

MP is a bad playing LAG with stats of 49/23/1.3 over 150 hands. I haven't noticed him do anything out of line, and what I have noticed about his play isn't too relevant to this hand (it's about blind steals).

SB is a multitabling TAG, possibly 2+2. 20.4/16/2.4 over 4k hands, and most of them are datamined because I avoid him unless he's on my left.

BB could be described as a typical 10/20 player: 38/26/2.8 over 4k hands, and not too out of line though very aggressive.

The question is, should I wait until the turn to raise in this enormous pot?

Empire Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB caps</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (20 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP calls, <font color="green">Hero?</font>

krimson 10-26-2005 03:34 PM

Re: Wait for Turn in Huge Pot?

With your position relative to the aggressor I don't see any reason to wait for the turn here. A turn raise doesn't have any hand protection value. You might well as push this for value while everyone is involved. A side benefit is that the SB may c/r off you to reduce the field on the turn.

krishanleong 10-26-2005 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see any reason to wait for the turn here. A turn raise doesn't have any hand protection value.

[/ QUOTE ]

Waiting till the turn would be for value. Not for protection. This hand doesn't need/can't get any protection.

Krishan

krimson 10-26-2005 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Waiting till the turn would be for value. Not for protection. This hand doesn't need/can't get any protection.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think that people would be more likely to fold the turn if there was action on the flop though?

10-26-2005 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

krishanleong 10-26-2005 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think that people would be more likely to fold the turn if there was action on the flop though?

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who has a good draw (5 outs+) will have odds to call. So not really.

Krishan

spydog 10-26-2005 03:58 PM

I'd raise the flop. TAG caps in a 5-way pot and then leads the flop against 4 opponents. He has JJ/QQ/KK/AA/AK most of the time. If you raise the flop he might call down with JJ/QQ, plus you get the other monkeys donating. If you call the flop then he won't lead QQ on the turn. If he has KK/AA/AK then he will 3-bet the flop and you can just call down. However, if you wait until the turn to raise then he will punish you with KK/AA and you will be forced to call down because the pot will be so big.

So, raise the flop to save you BBs against this player.

7ontheline 10-26-2005 04:03 PM

Krishan is wise. Wait to raise a non-club turn for value. No one with a draw is folding in a million years anyway.

spydog 10-26-2005 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Krishan is wise. Wait to raise a non-club turn for value. No one with a draw is folding in a million years anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

What hands do you put the SB on and then tell me why raising the turn is for value?

kelvin474 10-26-2005 04:13 PM

Krishan didn't say to call flop/raise turn. He said that if you did raise the turn, it would be for value, not because you had a chance to wreck someone's odds into a fold.

I like rasing the flop. Plenty of value b/c you probably got people drawing at runner/runner. Also a SB 3-bet lets you know that your hand kind of stinks, so you won't raise the turn when you have basically no outs to AA/KK.