Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Computer Technical Help (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   First Open Office, then Firefox, now what? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=379389)

321Mike 11-16-2005 02:05 AM

First Open Office, then Firefox, now what?

I'm a little behind the times. It took me forever to download Open Office and dump Microsoft Office. Last week I finally tried Firefox and I love it. Goodbye Internet Explorer.

So now I'm wondering where else I'm missing the boat. What other open source programs should I be using instead of the crap Microsoft is churning out?

C-Dog 11-16-2005 02:25 AM

Re: First Open Office, then Firefox, now what?

It depends what you want to do. You can use 7-Zip for compression. Clamwin for Antivirus, and GAIM for instant messaging. If you are on an open source kick.

C-Dog

fluxrad 11-16-2005 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
AVG for Antivirus

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed your post.

C-Dog 11-16-2005 03:31 AM

I am not sure who told you AVG is the be all end all, but it just isn't. And it was an open source post, and ClamWin is an open source virus scanner. AVG is free, but that doesnt make it open source. A lot of people like Avast free over AVG as well. But do what you like.

C-Dog

11-16-2005 04:07 AM

How about Linux? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

splashpot 11-16-2005 06:52 AM

I use BSPlayer or VLC player instead of Windows Media Player.

cwsiggy 11-16-2005 11:26 AM

It's all about Foobar for music playback.

obsidian 11-16-2005 12:30 PM

I don't believe it is open source but BSPlayer for video playback.

321Mike 11-16-2005 12:51 PM

Thanks everybody. I'm feeling more hip and modern already.

By the way, is Linux a good idea for somebody that's not a wiz with computers? I'm not a big fan of Windows, but I worry that I'll have to deal with things like software compatability issues if I switch to Linux. Is that a realistic concern or am I just living in the 20th century?

StevieG 11-16-2005 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

By the way, is Linux a good idea for somebody that's not a wiz with computers? I'm not a big fan of Windows, but I worry that I'll have to deal with things like software compatability issues if I switch to Linux. Is that a realistic concern or am I just living in the 20th century?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a realistic concern. There are lots of good things out there for Linux, but you'll be limited for online poker and conventional PC gaming, for instance. For most home users, Linux is probably not a good idea.