Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Another simple 3/6 hand played like a wuss -- suggestions? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=333882)

Proofrock 09-10-2005 03:21 PM

Another simple 3/6 hand played like a wuss -- suggestions?

No real reads on Villain except for his stats (19.4/2.8 after a mere 40 hands, postflop aggression of 1.0), I need help playing draws. Particularly in the following situation, my straight hit at the same time a flush hit. How aggressively do you play this? Specific questions on the hand:
(1) Preflop limp okay?
(2) Flop raise seems clear here, but if I'm wrong, tell me why.
(3) Turn: I expect to be told I should raise the turn. Any worries about the flush? In retrospect, Villain bet/calling the flop and then leading the turn seems more like a pair with a single spade to me than a made flush. At any rate, this is my biggest question -- how do I play the turn and why?

Thanks.

-cj

PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (4.33 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, BB folds, MP2 calls.

Turn: (4.16 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.16 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.16 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
MP2 has Js Jh (three of a kind, jacks).
Hero has Th Qd (straight, queen high).
Outcome: Hero wins 8.16 BB. </font>

shant 09-10-2005 03:55 PM

Re: Another simple 3/6 hand played like a wuss -- suggestions?

You should raise the turn. If he 3-bets you, you can decide by reads on how aggressive he is, and whether or not he would only 3-bet the turn with a flush. I would usually cap the turn, and call the river if he continues to bet, and bet if checked to.

Bodhi 09-10-2005 03:57 PM

Fold preflop. QTo sucks.

On the turn, raise. Of course there's a possible flush, but what reason do you have to fear it? Absolutely none: raise.
On the river, raise.

four eight suited 09-10-2005 04:00 PM

Does anyone like calling the flop so you might be able to keep the other two players in? Either way im definitely raising the turn and betting the river

Harv72b 09-10-2005 04:37 PM

Fold preflop. If your QT were sooted, I'd consider raising to buy the button &amp; isolate on the openlimper.

I like the flop raise. You represent a made hand vs. a draw (which improves your implied odds when you hit), and raising can buy you outs vs. a better Q; it can also knock out single spades that might have had a redraw on you. And it offers the possibility of a free card when you knock out the button.

I'm torn on the turn play because your opponent seems reasonable, albeit over a small sample. Raising the turn could get him to just throw away a weaker hand, while flat calling could encourage him to bet the river as well. OTOH, if he did pick up a pair + draw, he will obviously call the raise and probably call a river bet given the size of the pot. For that reason, I favor a raise--if he 3-bets me, I'm calling down.

Don't include results in your original post--it can affect the advice you get. I didn't look at them yet.

Okay, now I looked at them...I was thinking he had JTs (not spades), but top set would have been even better for you as he would certainly have at least called down after a turn raise.

neuroman 09-10-2005 04:41 PM

1) Fold preflop.
2) Raise turn.
3) MP2 provides a wonderful example of how not to play jacks.

Smokey98 09-10-2005 06:46 PM

Ditto what neuroman said. Fold PF, raise from turn on.

lufbradolly 09-10-2005 06:53 PM

Personally i'd fold this preflop i'd want another limper in front but i don't think thats a big deal.

You gotta raise that turn and if he 3 bets then i'd call down but i think folding to a turn 3 bet is ok as well but i think you gotta raise that turn.