Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   I NEED A MENTOR. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=313680)

MrTeddyKGB 08-12-2005 01:37 PM

Re: I NEED A MENTOR.

[ QUOTE ]
Moving up will teach you more. The players at the higher limits are better, sometimes much better. It will be like you eyes will be opened to a whole new dimension of the game.
Frankly, you cannot get better unless you play with better opponents. And that means moving up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play the 30-60 and 80-160 at bellagio sometimes and always feel like I am beating the game. At least I see my opponents making what I feel are mistakes. I doubt this will teach me how to use game theory to call bluffs or how to give value to backdoor outs ect... This kind of stuff that I learned from the 2+2 books I doubt I could have ever figured out on my own. I am sure there is a lot more I am missing. How do I know if I am bluffing enough or to often. I know how to identifiy mistakes and exploit them, I just want to make myself unexploitable. I doubt just my judgement is enough against top flight players. There is no "New In Chess" for poker to keep up with the latest theory. If I am going to spend this much time on poker I need a good teacher. If not then I will just 8 table 15-30 on auto pilot and go back to chess or something I guess.

Lawrence Ng 08-12-2005 06:01 PM

Hi Teddy,

If you haven't already purchased Weighing the Odds in Hold'em Poker by King Yao, I suggest you get it and add it to your collection. It's probably nothing new that you probably don't already know but there were quite a few concepts and plays discussed in that book that has helped me move yet another level in playing limit hold'em.

Being great/excellent at poker doesn't mean that you have to be a mathematical genius. If so Sklanksy would be the best player. However, he lacks a lot of the intutive and instinctive play that is neccesary for the high level game and it's something that the greatest players have. This intuition and instinct can't be taught, but if you find a great coach I believe it can be brought out of its hiding cage provided you possess it.

I've always found the best way to learn through non-textbook material is through relaying and sharing information with other good players. It's been a tough feat for me to do because a lot of the regular good players I play with don't like talking about their hands or their opponents hands/plays. But the odd times I do get to talk about it off the table I do learn something new and I'm sure they do as well.

Anyways, good luck with finding a coach. I wish I had your stamina to play online.

Lawrence

deacsoft 08-12-2005 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Barry Tannenbaum

[/ QUOTE ]

MrTeddyKGB 08-12-2005 06:47 PM

T [ QUOTE ]
I've always found the best way to learn through non-textbook material is through relaying and sharing information with other good players. It's been a tough feat for me to do because a lot of the regular good players I play with don't like talking about their hands or their opponents hands/plays.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, send me some hands anytime I have been teaching my brother and girlfriend how to play and need other opinions. I will check out that book.

MrTeddyKGB 08-12-2005 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Barry Tannenbaum

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know anyone that has used him. I read his article in card player. Some of his advice seems weak-tight.

MrTeddyKGB 08-12-2005 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Being great/excellent at poker doesn't mean that you have to be a mathematical genius. If so Sklanksy would be the best player.

[/ QUOTE ]

He isn't????????????????? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]....... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

autobet 08-12-2005 07:17 PM

I don't know about weak tight, but certainly TAG.

Looks like you are looking for someone to teach you how to push small edges...(more like LAG)

GreywolfNYC 08-12-2005 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Barry Tannenbaum

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know anyone that has used him. I read his article in card player. Some of his advice seems weak-tight.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've been coached by Barry since last November. His advice is anything but "weak-tight" and he has helped my game tremendously. If you'd like more information feel free to send me a PM.

MrTeddyKGB 08-12-2005 07:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know about weak tight, but certainly TAG.

Looks like you are looking for someone to teach you how to push small edges...(more like LAG)

[/ QUOTE ]

I enjoy his articles and am sure he is a big winner and probably a good teacher. I just read one of his articles were he warns against rising in your blinds with hands like AKo against limpers, I did not like his logic or analisys of the situation. I don't need anyone to tell me not to tilt or whatever. I want to learn the how to play optimaly. I doubt anyone without a strong math background can just figure this out by playing.

MrTeddyKGB 08-12-2005 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been coached by Barry since last November. His advice is anything but "weak-tight" and he has helped my game tremendously. If you'd like more information feel free to send me a PM.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will and I would love to get coaching from him as well. I just wish I knew how to use game theory to optimize my bluffing frequency or what to do with a range of hands once I have my opp figured out.