Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Numbers Thought (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=400134)

12-17-2005 04:08 AM

Numbers Thought

Numbers in my opinion are perfect...2+2 in our world will always equal 4 this can be proven in many different ways. Now my thought is this... Nothing in reality is perfect, perfection is merely something we assume to be the pinicle of everything. Saying that numbers are perfect and that nothing in reality is perfect where does that leave numbers...unreal? Are they a tool of society that we have never really truely experianced? What are you views on numbers and the truths behind them...

BluffTHIS! 12-17-2005 04:13 AM

Re: Numbers Thought

I overdosed on pi once and had to enter rehab. And my buddy wanted me to try aleph null but I wasn't going for that hard of stuff.

12-17-2005 06:15 AM

Reality is the subjective perception of facts. Reality is only imperfect because our perception of it is imperfect. Numbers are perfect because they can only be viewed objectively.

12-17-2005 07:45 AM

Numbers only have a meaning within a numbering system. There are different numbering systems (an infinite number of them). Outside of the peculiarities of a numbering system, numbers only "represent", they are abstract placeholders for, what is, no less, no more.

12-17-2005 01:05 PM

Note, there are unreal numbers, but that's not what you're talking about.

Mathematics, like language, is just a construct. It is not true, or real, in the sense that it does not exist. It is just a way we all agree at looking at some things.

eviljeff 12-17-2005 02:56 PM

yeah dude, David Krumholtz is the pwn

peritonlogon 12-17-2005 04:00 PM

Assuming he is talking about Mathematics and not just numbers, Mathematics is not JUST a construct.

This is shown by Godel's incompletness theorum where it is basically shown that all math is analytic and not synthetic. Which means, through theory, research and however else one goes about learning something new in Mathematics, we only discover more of what followed. (If you'd like further explaination, I'd be happy to give it.)

12-20-2005 10:19 PM

A number is only an approximation to the real value it represents.

peritonlogon 12-20-2005 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A number is only an approximation to the real value it represents.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of the funnier things I've read today.

Trantor 12-21-2005 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I overdosed on pi once and had to enter rehab. And my buddy wanted me to try aleph null but I wasn't going for that hard of stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]
You should have tried it! It's a really transendental experience!