Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Board too scary to continue with overpair? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=182731)

AngelicPenguin 01-24-2005 01:40 AM

Board too scary to continue with overpair?

UTG+1 is LPP w/VP$/IP of > 50% with 96 hands
Button is LPP w/ VP$/IP of 50% but only w/ 12 hands

Paradise Poker 0.10/0.20 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB completes, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (7 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

River: (10 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

Final Pot: 13 BB

Betting the turn too aggressive?
What about calling on the river vs 4 to a straight, a paired board, and 3 flush?

Lurker4 01-24-2005 02:07 AM

Re: Board too scary to continue with overpair?

I usually play this the same. While the turn is scary, frequently enough there will some combo of players calling you down w/a 8 or 9, and spade draws/OESD w/a 6, that you have to bet this turn to prevent giving a free card. On the river, I maket the crying call but obviously expect to get shown the flush. with a good enough read on UTG+1 I'd fold the river, but that won't happen too often. Obviously if button raises after you call you have to fold.

Aaron W. 01-24-2005 03:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
UTG+1 is LPP w/VP$/IP of &gt; 50% with 96 hands

[/ QUOTE ]

How strongly do you believe in that extra P? Is it fairly consistently P, or is it splitting the difference between A and P?

Niediam 01-24-2005 04:33 AM

I would have called the river. THe pot large enough where you only have to have the winning hand one in nine times to show a profit. The fact that UTG+1 bet out instead of check raising may mean that he is using the 8 as a scare card to try and make better hands than his to fold.

AngelicPenguin 01-24-2005 11:09 AM

His AF was very low (.5 or so if I remember), but from my understanding that number needs quite a few more hands than 96 to mature. That said, I was really sure he had me beat, but I thought I couldn't fold for one big on the river.

jrz1972 01-24-2005 11:38 AM

I'm playing this exactly the same. The river call is close, especially since there's another player yet to act behind you (so UTG+1 is less likely to be bluffing, which is almost all you're beating). I would not argue with a fold.