Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   three-way with an absurd fish and a strong player (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=68586)

Walter 02-19-2004 05:20 PM

three-way with an absurd fish and a strong player

i'm on the button in a PL game with KdQd. on the flop there is $12 in the pot.

the flop is Jd Th 9d

UTG who is the strong player bets out the pot (he has about $90 left), the absurd fish then makes it $30 (he has about $150 left).

would you raise the maximum knowing the absurd fish is likely to go all-in with me or try to get the strong player to tag along?

dogsballs 02-19-2004 05:28 PM

Re: three-way with an absurd fish and a strong player

Heh, your post title sounds a bit pervy.

Depends on your strong player and how much you think you can get him to put in the pot. All-in now might drop him, so I'd say flat-call. Then the pot's an ok size to get it all-in on the turn.

bunky9590 02-19-2004 06:30 PM

Smooth call here. You are at very least tied for the lead with a cold freeroll, or you are ahead. Flat call and make it look like a draw and get it in on the turn, with a pot sized bet/raise.

tewall 02-19-2004 06:53 PM

I'd say go after the absurd fish. Don't worry about the strong player.

dogsballs 02-20-2004 01:48 PM

Why the heck not?? I want his chips too. Looks like you'll get absurd guy's money anyway, so I'd say definitely concentrate on doing whatever'll get the tough guy to put something in.

PuppetMaster 02-20-2004 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm on the button in a PL game with KdQd. on the flop there is $12 in the pot.

the flop is Jd Th 9d

UTG who is the strong player bets out the pot (he has about $90 left), the absurd fish then makes it $30 (he has about $150 left).

would you raise the maximum knowing the absurd fish is likely to go all-in with me or try to get the strong player to tag along?

[/ QUOTE ]
Smooth call and get allin on the turn.

The Dude 02-20-2004 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is absurd, you want his chips too. Smooth-call, then go in on the turn if a blank hits. (Although depending on the player you might check to induce a bluff on the river.)

tewall 02-20-2004 05:04 PM

The conditions of the problem were you could get the fish all-in if you max raise. That's $300. If you smooth call, the pot's about $100. If you go after the fish, you're almost guaranteed $300.

If you go after the strong player, you're chances of winning go down (one extra guy in, who's likely to be playing better cards). Why not raise when you know your hand's good? Why give the strong player a free shot at beating you? Why keep the pot small when you have a chance of winning a bit pot? Do you really think you can get enough out of the strong guy to make up for the risk? Do you know you can still get the fish all-in at the turn?

Indian Ocean 02-20-2004 07:21 PM

I say smooth cll untill the turn than take\'em down to CHINA TOWN <nm>