Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Civilization IV, Baddest Beat of my Life (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=401093)

whiskeytown 12-19-2005 05:23 AM

Re: I hate seeing *** posts, and some civ4

I wrote an original Slashdot published review for Civ III about 3 yrs ago - I got a nice little line in there about telling the Linux community this was a game that one should buy Windows for.

I've played Civ 4 and I really like it - feels more streamlined - but I've NEVER played it generally from a military standpoint unless I could justify it - (me and a guy on an island where he has no iron and I do, for example) -cause it's a toughie to protect EVERYTHING -

You sort of have a hedgehog defense - with stacked strongpoints, and there's just too many damn ways for armies to get around you - no such thing as static lines in this game unless you wanna cough up a LOT of units - LOL.

but as a whole, I really like it - bitching aside about bad beats - I'd love to get a group together to try the multiplayer option sometime.

RB

Blarg 12-19-2005 05:55 AM

I think bicyclekick is really playing this heavily. Maybe you can hook up with him. In a gaming way.

BobboFitos 12-19-2005 07:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wrote an original Slashdot published review for Civ III about 3 yrs ago - I got a nice little line in there about telling the Linux community this was a game that one should buy Windows for.

I've played Civ 4 and I really like it - feels more streamlined - but I've NEVER played it generally from a military standpoint unless I could justify it - (me and a guy on an island where he has no iron and I do, for example) -cause it's a toughie to protect EVERYTHING -

You sort of have a hedgehog defense - with stacked strongpoints, and there's just too many damn ways for armies to get around you - no such thing as static lines in this game unless you wanna cough up a LOT of units - LOL.

but as a whole, I really like it - bitching aside about bad beats - I'd love to get a group together to try the multiplayer option sometime.

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

ive played a little bit multiway w/ my roommate. its OK, you really need to set aside alot of time in order to do this though. (nature of the game!!)

diebitter 12-19-2005 07:50 AM

Re: Civilization IV, Baddest Beat of my Life

There's a Civ 3? wow!

danvh 12-19-2005 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How the hell does a modern, heavily armored helicopter get shot down by godamn arrows!?

[/ QUOTE ]

Rambo only needed 1 arrow. With a team of archers this would be childsplay.

12-19-2005 12:19 PM

In Civilization terms, the Iraqi insurgents are probably on the level of Riflemen or Grenadiers. Yet they're not exactly rolling over for our stacks of Mech Inf, Modern Armor, and Stealth Bombers. The archers probably picked up some modern technology. Maybe they're strapping sticks of dynamite to their arrows.

Speaking of dynamite arrows, has anybody played Gun? Fun little game. I was a little surprised that more hookers get killed in that game than in Grand Theft Auto.

Blarg 12-19-2005 12:53 PM

I'm playing Dawn of War now. Needed something more quick and explosive.

ansky451 12-19-2005 01:37 PM

They are armor piercing arrows.

pudley4 12-19-2005 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They are sup bro's personal arrows.

[/ QUOTE ]

scott8 12-19-2005 02:57 PM

All,

For a total noob at these games, as in I have never played even once, should I pick up CIv 4 or go to an earlier version.

Thanks,

Calda