Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Calling an over-bet with A-high? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=398198)

Big_Jim 12-14-2005 05:37 PM

Re: Calling an over-bet with A-high?

[ QUOTE ]
Villian was not a complete idiot; he would shut down to aggression. However, for whatever reason, he was perfectly happy with hanging himself when he was the aggressor.

[/ QUOTE ]

These seem like pretty good reasons to raise the flop/turn, IMO.

You are not trapping, here.

nietzreznor 12-14-2005 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He was raising over 30% of his hands. I think I can comfortably take pocket pairs and aces out of his hand range.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough.

Do you have any idea what he does have here though? I would still feel uncomfortable calling a bet here from a guy who likes to take lots of weird lines if he might very well play any hand like this.

thatpfunk 12-14-2005 06:40 PM

Big,
I am pretty torn on both of those options.

I didn't like raising the flop because I did not want to face a big reraise or turn donk-bet that could blow me off my draw. On the turn I thought his bet screamed "I have a draw." If he does have a draw I think he is calling any reasonable bet. If he has a draw plus a weakish pair I feel like I screw myself by creating a decent sized pot when I miss and I don't have the heart to fire a third barrell.

I'm just not sure against this opponent but your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

UOPokerPlayer 12-14-2005 06:48 PM

I think calling here is pretty bad. I think calling the flop isn't' bad, but his bet on the turn makes it look like he just wants to see another card. Raise there, he'll fold a ton of hands, and check the river to you giving you a chance to take it there or value bet a made flush. You're not even ahead of some of his no pair hands he could be betting.

thatpfunk 12-14-2005 07:08 PM

UO,
I am 100% certain he would raise with AJ-AK. The hands I think I should be most worried about contain a 3 or a 4 plus a FD. If he held a T in his hand I don't think he makes that size bet on the turn (unless it was a super weak T like T2, then maybe).

Furthermore I think he would put me on a range of hands. If you are in his situation doesn't it seem like a horrible time to value-overbet? The board was the definition of draw-heavy; if I held a hand that could fade an overbet, wouldn't he have heard from me on the flop or turn?

Wayfare 12-14-2005 07:13 PM

I make the turn $40 and half potting the river if checked to. Most of the time he will fold.

thatpfunk 12-14-2005 07:24 PM

Way,
I've been thinking somewhere along this line would have been best.