Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Multi-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Way overbetting with aces from the BB (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=333611)

davidross 09-10-2005 01:25 AM

Way overbetting with aces from the BB

First hour of a multi with several limpers and I find AA in the BB (or button or SB) and I shove all-in (1K of so) in to the pot of 80. Crazy overbet. I've done this 5 times now, and been called 4 times (and the aces held up each time too).

I'm not sure if this is typical or if I've just been lucky but it sure seems like there are a lot of people wiling to play sherriff.

Incidently it is almost always a middle pair that calls.

09-10-2005 01:31 AM

Re: Way overbetting with aces from the BB

Is this real or play money? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Seriously though, I've tried that a few times and never been called.

Maybe they call just to try and bust you so they can tell all their friends they busted David Ross.

ekky 09-10-2005 01:37 AM

i love this play when there are a few limpers. You can almost feel them thinking *i wont let this fukkkkka steal the pot.. I shall call and show him who is boss*

LethalRose 09-10-2005 01:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this real or play money? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Seriously though, I've tried that a few times and never been called.

Maybe they call just to try and bust you so they can tell all their friends they busted David Ross.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of times people limp with small PP's early in an MTT and try to hit a set, when a player in late position pushes it looks like they have crap and are trying to pick up the blinds, or the player magically puts you on AK. so they call and you get their stack.

SossMan 09-10-2005 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
First hour of a multi with several limpers and I find AA in the BB (or button or SB) and I shove all-in (1K of so) in to the pot of 80. Crazy overbet. I've done this 5 times now, and been called 4 times (and the aces held up each time too).

I'm not sure if this is typical or if I've just been lucky but it sure seems like there are a lot of people wiling to play sherriff.

[/ QUOTE ]

this works better early than late

Jason Strasser 09-10-2005 11:13 AM

The bottom line is this cant be more profitable than a normal raise. If you want to mix this is very occasionally given the right textured game, fine.

-Jason

woodguy 09-10-2005 11:18 AM

Because its usually mid pairs that call, I really like doing this w/ 99-QQish. Hands that have good value PF, but will diminish on a multi-way flop (early, lots of limpers will call a decent sized raise), but still *usually* dominate those who call the overpush.

With AA/KK I will try to extract more value a different way.

Regards,
Woodguy

davidross 09-10-2005 02:59 PM

I would have agreed with you before I started trying this, but now I'm not so sure. I'd have to win a lot of medium sized pots to make this up.

I always found early in a tournament I won lots of small pots with AA and lost the big ones, this seems to shift that dynamic. Of course 5 hands is hardly enough to make that judgement, but I'm certainly going to keep trying it.

SoBeDude 09-11-2005 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in a tourney on empire last night. it was for a 17K bellagio seat.

I had 4 limpers in front, and I shove all in (I'm not short) with KK in the SB. of course 99 in MP looks me up and I take his whole stack.

I love this play.

-Scott

Sponger15SB 09-11-2005 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The bottom line is this cant be more profitable than a normal raise. If you want to mix this is very occasionally given the right textured game, fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

But he has been called 4 of 5 times now!