Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   This guy has no idea what he is in for (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=390758)

scotty34 12-03-2005 08:47 PM

This guy has no idea what he is in for

SB has stats of 15/10 over a smallish sample, and I view him as weak tight and he probably sees me as slightly LAG as the game is 3-handed and I have been raising a ton of hands.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 3 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (7.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 13.50 BB

I've started to try this from time to time. Call the AA 3-bet PF for deception purposes, especially against a player like this. After the 3-bet, I have his range TT-AA AQ-AK. By the river, I would say I am very certain he has AQ. I was immediately upset at myself for not capping the river, as places like that are exactly why I only called the 3-bet PF in the first place.

admiralfluff 12-03-2005 08:57 PM

Re: This guy has no idea what he is in for

I think in order for this to work well he has to be fairly aggressive (at least 2.5ish given his vpip). It looks like he is (or he's a true weak-tight passive rock and you ran into QQ), so I like this. I like a cap too, but it's fairly close IMO (if he could 5-bet I would say call).

meep_42 12-03-2005 08:59 PM

I don't think that someone who you characterize as weak-tight, even if he's capable of adjusting to your image, is 3-betting with AQ on the river all that often. I see AQ playing it with a bet/call, at best, more often than not, though I can't really put him on a hand that beats you (other than 99 or a less likely QQ) either.

If I played pf like you, i'd play it the same, though.

-d

bobman0330 12-03-2005 09:01 PM

I think if I just call PF, I'm going to wait to pop him until the turn, especially on a benign flop.

admiralfluff 12-03-2005 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think if I just call PF, I'm going to wait to pop him until the turn, especially on a benign flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

If we wait till the turn it looks like we slowplayed or hit something big. When we raise the flop, it looks like maybe a 9 or a random stab. It makes it more likely that villain will overplay if he hits (assuming he's aggressive enough) and that he will pay off with UI big As.

scotty34 12-03-2005 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think that someone who you characterize as weak-tight, even if he's capable of adjusting to your image, is 3-betting with AQ on the river all that often. I see AQ playing it with a bet/call, at best, more often than not, though I can't really put him on a hand that beats you (other than 99 or a less likely QQ) either.

If I played pf like you, i'd play it the same, though.

-d

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the image he has of me, I can't imagine he would not 3-bet the flop with QQ, figuring me for A9 or A5 or a small PP. I suppose 99 is possible, but I would think he would pop me on the turn at least.

meep_42 12-03-2005 09:14 PM

scotty,

Given what he thinks of you, would he picture you raising the flop AND river with KQ?

-d

Peter Harris 12-03-2005 09:21 PM

maybe i should never post and give my unreserved sanction to fluff [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

scotty34 12-03-2005 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
scotty,

Given what he thinks of you, would he picture you raising the flop AND river with KQ?

-d

[/ QUOTE ]

tough one - no probably not

I think in this hand it is very hard to put either of us on a logical hand from the other's perspective. He could have me on 55 maybe, but then why would he 3-bet the river without 99 or QQ? I can't put him on 99 or QQ, because those don't seem consistent to me.

He could have me on A9, but then why would I raise the river when the Q hit?

The only thing that makes sense in my mind was he has AQ and made a mistake 3-betting the river perhaps because he views me as being too aggressive.

Then again, I could also make a mistake by capping the river because I view him as being too straightforward.

admiralfluff 12-03-2005 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
maybe i should never post and give my unreserved sanction to fluff

[/ QUOTE ]

The last time this was attempted it resulted in me running naked through a small village in Kenya being chased by a posse of angry muslims. So please, continue to indluge us with your wisdom.