Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   $215: Interesting use of the min. bet (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=336735)

skipperbob 09-14-2005 04:00 PM

Re: $215: Interesting use of the min. bet

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand any part of the play of this Hand [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
1.) You have told me "ad nauseum" to stay away from hands like Q-Joff in the early going.
2.) I don't understand your late-position call on the flop; "pump it -or- dump it"
3.) Your call of the min-bet on the turn must be "I've played this really bad so far; why change now"
4.) I understand the call on the Riv; if he had a monster he would push
[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

I put him on A-Js

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of SFB's "funny" posts are not funny. This serious post, however, is quite amusing. Ah, the delicious irony.

A-J???? This is the best you could do. What numbnuts at a $215 would bet $15 into a $400 pot with TPTK and a flush draw on board?

-Z

[/ QUOTE ]

Me & Gig

PS: You don't even know where the $215's are [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
PPS: You got beat @ *STTF-HUC* by a 14-year old & a sweet young man who looks at you "Quizzically" whenever he has the greek-nutz [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

maddog2030 09-14-2005 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I called the turn to induce a bluff. That's a big part of my game, and something that I worked on a lot with Unarmed. It's also something that few players do, and something that I don't think I've ever seen a post about.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a massive part of my early game. I'm sure its just not something discussed here, but its constantly discussed in cash game forums/settings. How else does one gain much value from marginal holdings? Making people fold worse hands? Boo.

Also, given how confusing the opp's line is, I think I would've played it just like you did. I'm sitting here now looking at it and I can't figure out what the hell he's thinking... it just seems so inconsistent.

I might even call if I was pretty sure my hand was not good (though I think yours is good here, but I'm unfamiliar with how some of the $215ers play) just to see what he has and maybe figure out what was going through his head. This game is no fun if I can't figure out what he's thinking.

Irieguy 09-14-2005 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand any part of the play of this Hand [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
1.) You have told me "ad nauseum" to stay away from hands like Q-Joff in the early going.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't play Q-J early in a SNG if you will put this opponent on A-J with that action on the turn. Nor can you play it if you will pay-off A-Q when you both make a queen. But if you don't make either of those mistakes, and you are capable of inducing a bluff from an ace that misses, almost any hand is profitable from late position against a min-raiser preflop.

[ QUOTE ]

2.) I don't understand your late-position call on the flop; "pump it -or- dump it"

[/ QUOTE ]

A poker hand, like the universe, will unfold as it should. I am not afraid of the turn. Most opponents are. Let's see it.
[ QUOTE ]

3.) Your call of the min-bet on the turn must be "I've played this really bad so far; why change now"

[/ QUOTE ]

Precisely my thinking.

[ QUOTE ]

4.) I understand the call on the Riv; if he had a monster he would push

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't understand the call on the river if you don't understand the call on the turn.

[ QUOTE ]

I put him on A-Js

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the only two-card combination that it would be essentialy impossible for him to have.

Irieguy

Nick B. 09-14-2005 04:43 PM

I remember in a post a long time ago Greg Raymer said to treat a min bet like a check, what would you do if he checked the turn?

skipperbob 09-14-2005 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's the only two-card combination that it would be essentialy impossible for him to have.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thinking exactly [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

microbet 09-14-2005 04:51 PM

15 on the turn is neither a block, nor value, so I would think most likely he is trying to induce a bluff. Then, he says, "wow, a calling station" and value bets the river. Second most likely is that his warped mind thought it was a block.

edit: I'm not taking any possible posting bias into account.

awr000 09-14-2005 05:02 PM

Smells like a small suited Ace played poorly early

skipperbob 09-14-2005 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My thinking exactly [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

What was the "Heiny-count" prior to the start of this hand?

Michael C. 09-14-2005 05:11 PM

I don't know about others here, but I fairly often bet 15 by accident when I'm multi-tabling. It especially happens when I want to automatically hit "bet the pot" and then by the time it comes to me I ended up mini-betting instead. It's of course entirely possible there's a real reason, but that actually seems more likely to me than anything else. Anyway, I'd probably have treated it as a check, and I might have raised something into it to see how he responds. But if you think the mini-bet was intentional, than inducing a bluff is an interesting line. Honestly, it's hard for me to put villian on anything here.

Unarmed 09-14-2005 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I remember in a post a long time ago Greg Raymer said to treat a min bet like a check, what would you do if he checked the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy check. Against most opponents the value you gain by showing weakness and inducing river bluffs exceeds the risk you take by giving a free card. Also, I'm not real interested in opening up the betting on the turn as it allows villain to C/R with hands I currently have beat.