Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Led Zeppelin (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=399478)

12-16-2005 03:54 AM

Led Zeppelin

Musician gods or mediocre at best?

http://file.yashi.com/1/thumb/nothumb.jpg
Dazed and Confused Music Video

kyro 12-16-2005 03:56 AM

Re: Led Zeppelin

This should be fun.

CheckRaise 12-16-2005 03:57 AM

Are you serious?

kyro 12-16-2005 04:00 AM

CheckRaise,

Yes, I am serious. This should be a blast.

Eagerly,
kyro

12-16-2005 04:01 AM

who are musician gods. obvious answers for 600, alex.

12-16-2005 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you serious?

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh. Just trying to kill a buzz and was listening to some Zeppelin so decided to look online for some vids and came across this one. Honestly I think its 2 words that best describe dazed and confused "instrumental genius".

kyro 12-16-2005 04:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Are you serious?

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh. Just trying to kill a buzz and was listening to some Zeppelin so decided to look online for some vids and came across this one. Honestly I think its 2 words that best describe dazed and confused "instrumental genius".

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're the only person in the world to ever come up with this thought.

twang 12-16-2005 04:19 AM

Jimmy Hendrix is a much better guitar player than Led Zeppelin.

bernie 12-16-2005 04:21 AM

I could go the rest of my life never hearing another Led song again and be happy. I am absolutely, SICK of hearing them. It's too the point that it's like hearing a test pattern now.

b

theweatherman 12-16-2005 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It'd be pretty tough for a whole band to play one guitar.

CheckRaise 12-16-2005 04:28 AM

kyro,

my comment was aimed at the OP as I thought he was implying that Led Zeppelin was mediocre.

12-16-2005 05:03 AM

gods bitch, gods

dibbs 12-16-2005 05:06 AM

I admit I had a lot of anti-zep sentiment when I was younger. Im the type that ends up hating ending anything that is thoroughly hyped, and I grew up with the music in my house and would get so sick of it when kids would rep it in high school.

Eventually once I invested in it though and started throwing on some of my parents old vinyl, I became thoroughly obsessed. They have a knack and talent for music that is just rarely seen by most artists.

I still cant stand "Rock And Roll" and some of the other more popular songs though.

rusellmj 12-16-2005 05:17 AM

OP thank you for the vid link, it was awsome.

I [censored] feel 20 years younger.

Gods.

In other news, I read today Jimmy Page was honored by the Queen for his charitable work involving the underprivileged children of Brazil.

Brock Landers 12-16-2005 09:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
He has a point. But there is no doubt that Jethro Tull guy plays the flute better than that hillbilly Lynard Skynard can sing.

johnnybeef 12-16-2005 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement absolutely sucks. Music isn't a competition, it is an artform. Your statement is like saying Picasso was a better painter than Dali. In art there is no good, better, best....there are only peoples opinions.

edit: No matter how much I hear them, I never tire of Zepplin or Floyd.

ripdog 12-16-2005 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I could go the rest of my life never hearing another Led song again and be happy. I am absolutely, SICK of hearing them. It's too the point that it's like hearing a test pattern now.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand your attitude, but it has absolutely nothing to do with the question at hand. The only Zeppelin CD that I bother with now is III (and I skip The Immigrant Song). Several years ago I saw some footage of a young Robert Plant and was stunned at how talented he was. Boy did he ever lose it. III has always been my favorite Zep album, the rest got overplayed. Are they Gods? I think I have to vote yes.

RJT 12-16-2005 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But, how do you think Jimi Hendrix compares to Jimmy Page?

RJT 12-16-2005 10:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
He has a point. But there is no doubt that Jethro Tull guy plays the flute better than that hillbilly Lynard Skynard can sing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry Brock, didn't see that you beat me to it.

zephed 12-16-2005 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

http://file.yashi.com/1/thumb/nothumb.jpg
Dazed and Confused Music Video

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm undecided.

BottlesOf 12-16-2005 10:50 AM

Gods.

12-16-2005 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i agree with that, but stevie ray vaughn is better than hendrix
big deal, hendrix was a better musician IMO
And zeppelin stands up to just about any band you put against them. It's really hard to compare bands that are at this level

imported_The Vibesman 12-16-2005 11:27 AM

I used to love these guys as a teenager, like every teenager, but nowadays I get sick of them hitting me over the head with riffs on every song. I think a lot of their stuff is repetitive and overdone. That and the fact that you can't really listen to a Zep album without coming across something they completely ripped off from someone and don't give credit for. I'm not just talking about styles, I'm talking about entire verses and choruses, sometimes entire songs that go uncredited.

Jimmy Page has some nice riffs, but his playing is nowhere near the level of self-expression that a Jimi Hendrix or a Stevie Ray Vaughan exhibits.

I find a lot of their live performances rather self-indulgent.

Usually when I come across a Zep tune on the radio I'll listen for a while (unless it's Kashmir, which I think is one of the most boring popular songs ever), but I'll be flipping before the end of the song.

diebitter 12-16-2005 11:30 AM

Agree. I think they are [censored]. I even prefer the Rolf Harris version of Stairway to Heaven. I'm not kidding.

The Beatles so, so pwn them.

http://www.chezcomics.com/comics-res...an%20torch.gif

MonkeeMan 12-16-2005 11:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee, not a lot of middle ground there.

"mediocre at best" is laughable. "Musician gods" is defined as what? If you say the Top 10 rock bands of all time are gods, then yes they are gods.

trotski 12-16-2005 11:59 AM

Gods.

These guys were not only great, great musicians, they were the epitome of the rock and roll lifestyle.

kenberman 12-16-2005 12:03 PM

they are probably underappreciated, in a similar way as Nirvana is probably underrated.

they went a long way in creating/defining/popularizing a genre of music, and they do have a lot of interesting music to listen to.

imported_The Vibesman 12-16-2005 12:06 PM

Zeppelin and Nirvana are considered by the general public to be two of the greatest bands of all time. How in God's name can you say either band is underrated?

ChipWrecked 12-16-2005 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Zeppelin and Nirvana are considered by the general public to be two of the greatest bands of all time. How in God's name can you say either band is underrated?

[/ QUOTE ]

I will guess that KB4Z was like ten years old at the height of Nirvana's popularity. Scary thought.

kenberman 12-16-2005 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the general public considers their music to be awesome. however, the general public doesn't understand or appreciate how genre defining/important their music was.

Most people will tell you that Pearl Jam started the 'grunge music' movement, which is not true.

the whole explosion can be traced to the very first notes on Track 1 on Nevermind - Smells Like Teen Spirit.

kenberman 12-16-2005 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I will guess that KB4Z was like ten years old at the height of Nirvana's popularity. Scary thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

16 when it was released. close though [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

imported_The Vibesman 12-16-2005 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the general public considers their music to be awesome. however, the general public doesn't understand or appreciate how genre defining/important their music was.

Most people will tell you that Pearl Jam started the 'grunge music' movement, which is not true.

the whole explosion can be traced to the very first notes on Track 1 on Nevermind - Smells Like Teen Spirit.

[/ QUOTE ]

See, most people I talk to would say that Nirvana started the whole grunge movement, and some would mention Motherlovebone.

Whatever, though. Let's you and I agree to agree.

twang 12-16-2005 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement absolutely sucks. Music isn't a competition, it is an artform. Your statement is like saying Picasso was a better painter than Dali. In art there is no good, better, best....there are only peoples opinions.

[/ QUOTE ]
Weakling!

http://kytary.muzikant.cz/person/ang...el/angelo5.jpg

zephed 12-16-2005 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Jimmy Page has some nice riffs, but his playing is nowhere near the level of self-expression that a Jimi Hendrix or a Stevie Ray Vaughan exhibits.

I find a lot of their live performances rather self-indulgent.

[/ QUOTE ]
I find these two statements to be contradictory. You think Zep's live performances were self-indulgent but SRV's not? IMO, SRV is the epitome of the self-indulgent blues rock guitarist. Yes he was a really great guitarist and plays expressive solos, but his songwriting ability doesn't compare to Page's.

[ QUOTE ]
I used to love these guys as a teenager, like every teenager, but nowadays I get sick of them hitting me over the head with riffs on every song. I think a lot of their stuff is repetitive and overdone.

[/ QUOTE ]
You don't like a repeated melodic figure in your songs? What specifically is repetitive and overdone?

[ QUOTE ]

That and the fact that you can't really listen to a Zep album without coming across something they completely ripped off from someone and don't give credit for. I'm not just talking about styles, I'm talking about entire verses and choruses, sometimes entire songs that go uncredited.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is undoubtedly true and unfortunate with respect to the lyrics. Robert Plant did not do his job on many songs in the early years. However, Jimmy Page definitely didn't just cop old blues songs, they were his own.

Also, ripping off blues songs is not something that is unique to Zep. Robert Johnson himself stole entire blues songs from his predecessors.

[ QUOTE ]

Usually when I come across a Zep tune on the radio I'll listen for a while (unless it's Kashmir, which I think is one of the most boring popular songs ever), but I'll be flipping before the end of the song.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's just not your cup of tea. It is an excellent song.

MonkeeMan 12-16-2005 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
however, the general public doesn't understand or appreciate how genre defining/important their music was.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, I'll bite. I like their music, but don't consider it "genre defining" or "important". But maybe that's because I was rocking before Led was born.

bernie 12-16-2005 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The whole grunge explosion? ummm. no.

The buzz about 'grunge' was not started by Nirvana. The sparks started just a bit before Nirvana.(motherlovebone/AIC/Soundgarden come to mind) Not to mention, that album sat on the racks of stores for about a year before it finally took off. They were the nail in the coffin for 80s rock. But they weren't the wood that laid the foundation.

Not to mention saying Led Zep is underappreciated is absolute crap. Everyone's been forcefed their stuff in mass amounts for about 30 years now. Including how important, genre defining their music was.

b

zephed 12-16-2005 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Really? Anyone else disagree.

kenberman 12-16-2005 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The whole grunge explosion? ummm. no.

The buzz about 'grunge' was not started by Nirvana. The sparks started just a bit before Nirvana.(motherlovebone/AIC/Soundgarden come to mind) Not to mention, that album sat on the racks of stores for about a year before it finally took off. They were the nail in the coffin for 80s rock. But they weren't the wood that laid the foundation.

[/ QUOTE ]

good points

MonkeeMan 12-16-2005 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now when you're talkin' about Hendrix we can finally work the term "Musician god" into the conversation. SRV was great, but he worshipped at the alter of Hendrix.

zephed 12-16-2005 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Now when you're talkin' about Hendrix we can finally work the term "Musician god" into the conversation. SRV was great, but he worshipped at the alter of Hendrix.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think Jimi Hendrix is pretty solidly the number one guitar player, ever.

Sure there are plenty of guitarists who have greater technical ability, but I don't think SRV is one of them.