Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   How much grit have you got? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=405660)

Stuey 12-27-2005 12:45 AM

How much grit have you got?

The following quiz is from an article I read in Psychology Today. The article from the magazine has more details but this version has the key points as well. Yes it is long but it could hold the keys to success for keeping that new years resolution. Or you can just take the quiz below.

QUIZ

On a scale of one to five, rate how well the following statements describe you. For items in black, a five is "strongly agree" and one is "strongly disagree."

<font color="red">Items in red are reverse scored: </font>
One is "strongly agree" and five is "strongly disagree"

Total your score and divide by six. If you score over 3.5, consider yourself gritty.

1. I am a hard worker.

<font color="red">2. People often tell me that I don't perfom to my potential. </font>

3. Setbacks don't deter me.

<font color="red">4. I get interested in new pursuits every few months. </font>

5. I am now working on a project that may take years to finish.

<font color="red">6. New ideas and new projects sometimes distract me from previous ones. </font>

This should probably be posted in the Psychology forum but I feel my friends are here and I wanted them to see it. I feel there is real power in this simple idea. If the scoring of the quiz is to hard for you to figure out stop smoking weed and see your grit return. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I'm thinking I need to do some pushups!

12-27-2005 01:31 AM

Re: How much grit have you got?

These questions are too vague. If you think about them, you could come up with a reason to give yourself any score for any question.

It's like the horoscopes: they could say almost anything and people would come up with a reason to agree with it.

siccjay 12-27-2005 01:36 AM

Awesome avatar Stuey, that part had me cryin.

Stuey 12-27-2005 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
These questions are too vague. If you think about them, you could come up with a reason to give yourself any score for any question.

It's like the horoscopes: they could say almost anything and people would come up with a reason to agree with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah I agree with you here. It does not really matter what you score on the quiz anyway.

My post was aimed at giving people hope and the courage to try hard things. Lots of people are going to have new years resolutions and tons will fail. The ones that succeed will need grit!

[ QUOTE ]
Indeed, experts often speak of the "10-year rule" -- that it takes at least a decade of hard work or practice to become highly successful in most endeavors, from managing a hardware store to writing sitcoms -- and the ability to persist in the face of obstacles is almost always an essential ingredient in major achievements. The good news: Perhaps even more than talent, grit can be cultivated and strengthened.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always thought I was very gritty about succeeding at things I thought were important to me. I am pasionate about avatars as silly as I know they are and often wanted to put the same effort into stuff I find less exciting. And I see it might be easier than I had thought.

[ QUOTE ]
Although extremely persistent people are usually passionate about their work, that doesn't mean that the passion always comes first. Perseverance, notes Duckworth, can itself foster passion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just in a very positive mood atm and this idea that anyone can succeed at anything if they try hard enough for long enough was powerful to me. I'm going to try something very hard that is going to take a long time to finish. The longer the better, maybe if I never stop trying I would never realized I have failed.

Nike was right
Just do it!

bisonbison 12-27-2005 02:01 AM

1. I am a hard worker. [2 - agree]

<font color="red">2. People often tell me that I don't perform to my potential. </font> [4 - agree]

3. Setbacks don't deter me. [4 - disagree]

<font color="red">4. I get interested in new pursuits every few months. </font> [4 - agree]

5. I am now working on a project that may take years to finish. [5 - disagree]

<font color="red">6. New ideas and new projects sometimes distract me from previous ones. </font> [5 - strongly agree]

24/6 = 4. I'm gritty, if I understood the scoring system, but I think this test is pretty meaningless.

Stuey 12-27-2005 02:12 AM

QUIZ

On a scale of one to five, rate how well the following statements describe you. For items in black, a five is "strongly agree" and one is "strongly disagree."

<font color="red">Items in red are reverse scored: </font>
One is "strongly agree" and five is "strongly disagree"

Total your score and divide by six. If you score over 3.5, consider yourself gritty.

1. I am a hard worker.

Strongly disagree 1
Disagree 2
Fence 3
Agree 4
Strongly agree 5

<font color="red">2. People often tell me that I don't perfom to my potential. </font>

Strongly disagree 5
Disagree 4
Fence 3
Agree 2
Strongly agree 1

3. Setbacks don't deter me.

Strongly disagree 1
Disagree 2
Fence 3
Agree 4
Strongly agree 5

<font color="red">4. I get interested in new pursuits every few months. </font>

Strongly disagree 5
Disagree 4
Fence 3
Agree 2
Strongly agree 1

5. I am now working on a project that may take years to finish.

Strongly disagree 1
Disagree 2
Fence 3
Agree 4
Strongly agree 5

<font color="red">6. New ideas and new projects sometimes distract me from previous ones. </font>

Strongly disagree 5
Disagree 4
Fence 3
Agree 2
Strongly agree 1

The quiz is not important but that is no reason to do it wrong. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

It is just to get you thinking about how you can do anything if you are willing to suffer and stick with it. We all know this is true and we all have done it. And it seems the more often we attempt it and practice being gritty the better we get.

Sorry for being so gritty about this post I can't help it. lol