Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   News, Views, and Gossip (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Ted Forrest (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=365251)

idrinkcoors 10-25-2005 03:58 PM

Ted Forrest

I just got a copy of Cardplayer (Sept 28th?) and read where Ted Forrest won 12 million one year, in the 90's then was 2 million in the hole in 2003. He admits to loving craps but that 14 million turnaound was amazing to me. He says now that he limits his craps buyin to $200k, (if I'm remembering right). I really like how he handles himself at the table, and his rags to riches story of how he started proping at the Plaza for $30 a day back in 1987. He seems like a decent guy, but are these kind of swings typical for big name players?

crazy canuck 10-25-2005 07:16 PM

Re: Ted Forrest

I don't know if its true (whatever tho it's the gossip forum anyway), but there were rumours that he also lost a lot in the markets.

Dan Mezick 10-25-2005 08:58 PM

Success in other worldly endeavors rarely translates to immediate success in trading.

[ QUOTE ]
You must learn to develop a very unnatural set of responses to events, to succeed in trading - Mark Minervini

[/ QUOTE ]

10-26-2005 10:17 PM

With two professorial parents, I don't know how rags to riches he is, but yes, historically, poker players who really like craps don't have much money to their names.

Gary

idrinkcoors 10-27-2005 12:34 AM

I know what you are saying Gary, but he admited to staying at some dump downtown and having to ride his bike everywhere. Plus he says he ate one meal a day at the rescue mission. Quite a difference from his year where he made $12 million. He just has a very interesting story. IMO.

10-27-2005 05:37 AM

when i read that article about him in cardplayer, i was thinking that they may have been misleading about the 12 million he won. I was under the impression most of the play against beal was as a team, and he did most of the winning. so that 12 million may have been spread with the other players?

i could be wrong tho. maybe someone who has read that book on the big game can clarify.

it seems kind of far fetched to drop 12 mill just on craps.. i mean you have to win sometimes to right? i guess its possible but damn. he would have to not value money at all. and if thats the case then why be a gambler?

benkahuna 10-27-2005 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when i read that article about him in cardplayer, i was thinking that they may have been misleading about the 12 million he won. I was under the impression most of the play against beal was as a team, and he did most of the winning. so that 12 million may have been spread with the other players?

i could be wrong tho. maybe someone who has read that book on the big game can clarify.

it seems kind of far fetched to drop 12 mill just on craps.. i mean you have to win sometimes to right? i guess its possible but damn. he would have to not value money at all. and if thats the case then why be a gambler?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's actually the case that the best poker players don't value money. Greenstein discusses this issue a bit in Ace on the River.

Even a guy like Greg Raymer, who clearly isn't Mr. Gambool, makes it pretty clear that there are higher priorities in his life, particularly his family.

Dave Mac 10-27-2005 12:55 PM

no that doesn't count the money won for the group against beal.
forest won somehting like 2.2 mil. playing beal on his own, plus a [censored] load of money in larry flint's stud game and some other [censored]. i mean i obv. can't say for sure about his winnings. but it is rumored that phil ivery won something like 10-20 mil this yr in these same games so i mean it really is not that improbable. i mean people win 200k a yr playing 15-30 is it that imporbable that he coudl win 12 mil playing 1500-3000 to 4000-8000.
dave

bogey 10-27-2005 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Even a guy like Greg Raymer, who clearly isn't Mr. Gambool, makes it pretty clear that there are higher priorities in his life, particularly his family.

[/ QUOTE ]

whats your point? this really doesn't seem to make any sense in relation to the thread. Are you trying to say Greg values his family more than money and thus somehow disrespects money? wtf?

midas 10-27-2005 01:51 PM

I think what he meant is that Greg had a day job before he turned pro and values/respects/fears the lack of money much more than your average professional/degenerate gambler.

In an ESPN interview, Phil Ivey said that if you drop $500K in a cash game one day and start to think what you could have bought with that money - you'll go nuts - it's just the job.

BTW, I would classify any pro poker player who loses big money playing craps as a degenerate gambler.