Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   "Happy Holidays" v. "Merry Christmas" (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=401424)

bocablkr 12-19-2005 04:09 PM

Re: \"Happy Holidays\" v. \"Merry Christmas\"

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting, because if somebody tells me "Happy Holidays" or "Season's Greetings" I say: "Praise be the Lord Jesus Christ and [censored] all the other religions."

It tends to cause awkward silences at office Christmas parties.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are serious then I would have responded that there is no god and that would have really gotten things started.

MaxPowerPoker 12-19-2005 04:10 PM

Happy holidays, from Jesus.

12-19-2005 04:37 PM

Merry Christmas offended people, so it was widely replaced with Happy Holidays (to account for the small % of our population who is Jewish, non Jewish/Christian Africans, and/or indiginous germanic tribal living in America, I suppose), yet wouldnt Happy Holidays still offend atheists and muslims?

bocablkr 12-19-2005 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Merry Christmas offended people, so it was widely replaced with Happy Holidays (to account for the small % of our population who is Jewish, non Jewish/Christian Africans, and/or indiginous germanic tribal living in America, I suppose), yet wouldnt Happy Holidays still offend atheists and muslims?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am an atheist and it doesn't offend me. That IS why 'Merry Christmas' offends me (birth of Jesus, etc).

12-19-2005 04:44 PM

Holiday means Christmas, Hannukah, and/or Kwanzaa.

Knowing that by saying Happy Holidays, I am wishing you a well (enter any one of above holidays, none of which apply to you) that doesn't in any way offend you?

What offends you about Merry Christmas then, that doesnt offend you about Merry Christmas, Hannukah, and/or Kwanzaa?

12-19-2005 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am an atheist and it doesn't offend me. That IS why 'Merry Christmas' offends me (birth of Jesus, etc).

[/ QUOTE ]

And regarding the birth of Jesus, isn't it widely regarded among our intellectual superiors and other high ranking historian-types, both atheist and not, that Jesus was in fact a real person? In what way then, does the mere hint of his birth offend you?

bocablkr 12-19-2005 04:52 PM

Merry Christmas is about the birth of the so called 'son of god' - a concept I do not believe in. Hanukkah is about a great Jewish victory over the Syrian king, Antiochus. Not sure what the others are about. But they don't stress belief in God as their focal point.

lastchance 12-19-2005 04:52 PM

I like the tactful and always applicable "Have a nice break, or have a nice one." Has a nice ring to it, more than "Happy Holidays," anyway.

hmkpoker 12-19-2005 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the tactful and always applicable "Have a nice break, or have a nice one." Has a nice ring to it, more than "Happy Holidays," anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell me this is a joke.

bocablkr 12-19-2005 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please tell me this is a joke.

[/ QUOTE ]

You meant jopke?