Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   ROR avoidance at Party w/ referral (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=125398)

deuces09 09-17-2004 07:17 PM

ROR avoidance at Party w/ referral

Hypothetical scenario (though probably true *cough)...

You've got $50 in PP (thanks to a referral), and you plan to deposit a few hundred to play $10 SNG's when you go to college. You would much rather like to turn that 50 into a couple of hundred, though, and start from there. However, your 50 is an amount substantially less than the standard 20 buy ins of $120 required for playing $5 SNG's, thus a very high risk of ruin.

What do you do to pad your roll from that 50 to 220?

If it's me, I play 5+1 SNG's exclusively. How would you do it?

Hydro 09-17-2004 07:28 PM

Re: ROR avoidance at Party w/ referral

Are you a good player?

yesterday i installed partypoker to give it a shot (I play on pokerstars).

I put in $55 for 5 $10 games, got that to 150 and starting doing $20 sitangoes, im at 280 right now.

If you are a good player ignore all that bankroll crap, this is gambling. Do you think you will lose 5 in a row? i fnot then go play $10 games right now.

If it wasnt for all those bad beats on $10 i prob woulda had more. I consider myself above average SNG player and I have stats to back it up

And oh, do NOT play $5 sitandgos [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

deuces09 09-17-2004 07:37 PM

I consider myself a good player as well, I just see too much ROR investing four 10+1's and a 5+1 of the bat.

Then again, 5+1 sucks as well, but less ROR.

The stock answer here is "deposit 220 instead of 50", but there's 50 sitting in front of me and it's FREE, so I figure why not start college with a bankroll that didn't cost a cent to put in?

Hence my topic.

Hydro 09-17-2004 07:47 PM

Listen, if you have confidence in your self then go ahead.

So you are thinking $50 or deposit. Why deposit? PLay this $50 and if u dont win 1 out of 5 then deposit. If you say you are as good as you are then just go ahead with the $50.

Lets say out of 5 you get. 2nd, 3d, 9th, 9th, 9th. you are back at 50.

I would say go ahead with it and play, $50 is actully 4 sit and goes though($10).

If money is a big concern for you, (I can offord to waste $50 every 2 days on poker), then why deposit?.

You sound like you plan to make a career out of this $50 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Jman28 09-17-2004 07:52 PM

The BR requirement has to do more with amount you have to play with (including $100 in your pocket you can afford to deposit.)

I'd play 4 $10s at a time, and move up according to the total of Amt. in account + amount I'm willing to put in that I have at home.

Did that make sense? I have to leave in 1 minute.

AleoMagus 09-17-2004 08:29 PM

You would probably be surprised by how close the ROR is between these two choices. 5+1 will definitely not be half of 10+1 like you might expect.

In fact, just to plug some sample numbers into the ROR calculator, lets assume that you can finish 14% of the time in each of 1st,2nd, 3rd. This is an ITM of 42% and an ROI of ~27% at 10+1 and ~17% at 5+1.

with the $50, and assuming that your SNG results are independent (see other losing streak thread below this one), this will give you:

at 10+1, a ROR of ~40%
at 5+1, a ROR of ~30%

Seeing as how this choice also involves profits of $1/tourney at 5+1 or $3/tourney at 10+1, I think the choice is clear.

Granted, you might run into weaker players at 5+1, but I don't think that changes anything. 5+1 is not worth playing... ever, ever, ever, under any circumstances, or for any reason whatever. EVER!

As far as the 40% ROR at 10+1, well... that's life. Play and if you lose, shucks. I do not recommend moving past 10+1 or cashing off anything until at least $500 if you do happen to win.

Good luck
Brad S

PS - The best advice of course is to somehow move the $50 to stars and play $5+.50. This is the lowest ROR of all. Lower vig and only 9-player SNGs (more ITM which is really important to ROR). Less profit though.

deuces09 09-17-2004 10:55 PM

Thanks Aleo, that clears things up splendidly

PS: Your SNG spreadsheet is still awesome, gratz [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]