Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Gambling Games (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Rock Paper Scissors, Round 2 (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=258566)

pzhon 05-24-2005 07:01 PM

Rock Paper Scissors, Round 2

You are playing Rock Paper Scissors for $100/hand.

On the first round, you chose Paper, and beat your opponent who chose Rock.

Malachii 05-25-2005 12:46 AM

Re: Rock Paper Scissors, Round 2

There's actually a lot of psychology to rock paper scissors. It's all about noticing patterns in your opponent and trying to figure out what patterns your opponent sees in your play.

Isn't Andy Bloch the world champion?

Thythe 05-25-2005 01:07 AM

Good ol' rock. Nothing beats that.

blaze666 05-25-2005 01:41 AM

yes, he is, according to his full tilt poker profile. the only thing that i could offer, is that the majororty of people will choose scissors first, im pretty sure of that. if you want to learn to play rock paper scissors well (or jan ken pon) here is a rock paper scissors strategy guide.

kyro 05-25-2005 08:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good ol' rock. Nothing beats that.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I picked paper twice in a row.

ElSapo 05-25-2005 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's actually a lot of psychology to rock paper scissors. It's all about noticing patterns in your opponent and trying to figure out what patterns your opponent sees in your play.

Isn't Andy Bloch the world champion?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, Lee Rammage is the current World Champion. The girl he beat in the finals knocked me out in the third round, I believe.

Damnit.

ElSapo

Eihli 05-25-2005 07:51 PM

Poor predictable Bart, always chooses rock.

pzhon 05-26-2005 01:25 AM

This is a link to Round 1.

The results may not be as skewed this time, but I expect to be able to reject the 1/3-1/3-1/3 hypothesis quite convincingly.

I'm curious whether people have analyzed much data from real play. Humans are poor random number generators, and I expect both the first order statistics and transition probabilities are far from uniform.

Maybe this is all well-known to serious players, but I can't bring myself to buy an RPS strategy book.

Rotating Rabbit 05-26-2005 03:59 AM

(From that site)

Rock-Lead: Full-aggression throw. The hard, weapon-like character of Rock can make it a subconscious choice when wanting to crush the opponent. It may also be chosen when the player feels backed against the wall or otherwise in immenient danger of losing. This is a fighting-back throw that tries to demonstrate brute force over tactical choices.

heh

edge 05-26-2005 05:08 AM

The official RPS book is pretty hilarious. I definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys witty things.