Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Harry Frazee and the curse (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=408286)

sublime 12-31-2005 04:09 PM

Harry Frazee and the curse

i stumbled upon this today and was fascinated by how ignorant this country can be at times. its sports related, but when i was reading it i was not thinking abut sports. cross posted to sporting events, so feel free to delete but i think this is an important story.

curse of bambino

bisonbison 12-31-2005 04:18 PM

Re: Harry Frazee and the curse

Man, anti-semites are dumb, but "The Peril of Baseball- 'Too Much Jew'" is a hilarious headline.

sublime 12-31-2005 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Man, anti-semites are dumb, but "The Peril of Baseball- 'Too Much Jew'" is a hilarious headline.

[/ QUOTE ]

i had zero idea about any of this story. well, i knew about the misconceptions surrounding the sale (NNN being a 2-3 years after etc) and that frazee was hated by the commissioner etc...but i had no idea that he was accused of being a jew and henry ford was such an open racist.

one oddity i picked up on was frazee seemed open to accepting minorities (paying for screenplays from blacks and such) and years later when tom yawkey came on as owner he ran the team from a racist point of view (last team in majors to have a black i think) which is one of the main reasons the red sox sucked during the mid century years. point of my ramble is the sox seemingly would have been much better off with HF staying owner (well he did die in 29 but since he was first to hire blacks on broadway, whos to say he wouldnt have beat the dodgers by 20 years).

welcome back btw

TheRover 12-31-2005 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i stumbled upon this today and was fascinated by how ignorant this country can be at times.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair it was that way nearly everywhere at that time.

Great read, but there was an awful lot of typos in there and I usually don't notice such things.

edit: I didn't know Ford's racism wasn't common knowledge, he was quite the little facist bitch.

sublime 12-31-2005 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i stumbled upon this today and was fascinated by how ignorant this country can be at times.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be fair it was that way nearly everywhere at that time.

Great read, but there was an awful lot of typos in there and I usually don't notice such things.

edit: I didn't know Ford's racism wasn't common knowledge, he was quite the little facist bitch.

[/ QUOTE ]

i suppose it was common knowledge for most, but i (somebody with a scant knowledge of american business history) had no idea.

bisonbison 12-31-2005 05:05 PM

Charles Lindbergh and Ford were the great luminaries of pro-fascist American sentiment. The country was wierd then and it's wierd now.

My parents (not jewish) chose not to buy a house in 1975 because it had a covenant agreement to exclude Jews. The agreement wasn't enforced by that time, but it was still in the deed or whatever.