Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   One-table Tournaments (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   How often should a solid player finish in each position? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=305883)

adam61 08-02-2005 08:31 AM

How often should a solid player finish in each position?

I often see posts where people say shoot for 14/13/12 ITM and that kind of thing. But where do solid players finish in other positions. I ask because I think I finish in 6-10th too much and I'm not sure why. I think I might be a bit too much in Limit mode still. How good of hands are you willing to drop in a better spot. I'm getting to a basically weak-tight gameplan for levels 1-3, folding things like KQo preflop in MP, AJo in MP, AQo to any kind of real raise. And after the flop dropping any hand worse than TPTK or a great draw preflop. Folding when it's probably decently +EV to draw. How far do you take this though. I think some of it is bad luck. But here's my finish distribution right now.

13/12/11/12/9/9/10/13/8/3

Just seemed leaky, What do solid players numbers look like? I just want to know if I need to probably get tighter, or just get weaker with made hands and decent draws, even moreso than I am. That many 8th places can't be good.

To recap that's 1-3rd 36% 4-6 30% 7-10 34%

Seems bad.

tigerite 08-02-2005 08:32 AM

Re: How often should a solid player finish in each position?

It's too small a sample size, sorry.

adam61 08-02-2005 08:47 AM

Those are percentages.

tigerite 08-02-2005 08:55 AM

Ah.. okay. Well, I wouldn't say the stats are terrible or something. 6th is still one of my highest finishes for instance. Strangely though, I hardly ever finish 8th, so maybe there is something going on there.

11t 08-02-2005 09:00 AM

Busting out 4-6th to get a higher 1st is a good thing.

tigerite 08-02-2005 09:08 AM

For sure, yes. I agree. But 6th seems quite a bit higher than 5th, which is also a bit higher than 4th, then 1/2/3 go up quite a bit, until 1st is higher than 6th. 2nd is about equal with it now. It's a weird finish distribution. 10th's are a bit too high for my liking too to be honest

wiggs73 08-02-2005 09:45 AM

Yeah, 5th is my most common finish, followed closely by 1st.

In general, I'm either busting in 5th or 6th or having a stack to work with by the time we're at the bubble. Of course, getting a stack early against a donk is always nice too.

Nicholasp27 08-02-2005 10:19 AM

having the bulk of your finishes from 1-6 will occur if you play tight early on and then work to steal blinds as levels increase...if u have a lot of 7-10, then maybe u are playing too many hands earlier on or not letting go of them post-flop when you should be...or maybe you are pushing aa/kk/qq/ak instead of raising 3xbb and fish call you and then 30% of those times u are knocked out early...

but with 30% of all tournies being 8-10, it seems like maybe you are too loose in early levels...

cgwahl 08-02-2005 02:37 PM

I was actually wondering about this myself. I started playing SnG's last week (just $5.50 ones) and I am getting in the money a lot (I know, I know my sample size is incredibly small)...but I have only gotten 1st once.

However, I realize part of the problem is I get a little too aggressive heads up.

hyde 08-02-2005 02:53 PM

I think if you tighten up considerably early on you will see dramatic improvement.
very tight early.