Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Science, Math, and Philosophy (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Satisfying LA Times Op-Ed Piece (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=353910)

10-09-2005 02:38 PM

Satisfying LA Times Op-Ed Piece

The Dark Side of Faith.

JackWhite 10-09-2005 02:49 PM

Re: Satisfying LA Times Op-Ed Piece

Obviously this is not going to be mentioned in an LA Times article, but there is another explaination why those Southern states have higher crimes rates than New England states. I won't mention it, but everyone knows what I mean, and it is not Bible reading.

jason_t 10-09-2005 02:51 PM

Thanks for the article.

On a different note would you mind explaining the reasons for your name choice? I'm writing a PhD in complex analysis so obviously I'm curious.

daryn 10-09-2005 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously this is not going to be mentioned in an LA Times article, but there is another explaination why those Southern states have higher crimes rates than New England states. I won't mention it, but everyone knows what I mean, and it is not Bible reading.

[/ QUOTE ]

people are poorer

10-09-2005 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

people are blacker

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP.

(Note that I'm only guessing at OP's intent, not making a statement, however factually correct said statement may be)

JackWhite 10-09-2005 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
people are poorer

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
people are blacker

[/ QUOTE ]

The history of poverty and lower quality of education are major factors in why the South has higher crime rates than New England. Does anybody here really believe the higher crime is caused by greater religious belief?

10-09-2005 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The history of poverty and lower quality of education are major factors in why the South has higher crime rates than New England. Does anybody here really believe the higher crime is caused by greater religious belief?

[/ QUOTE ]
Is it likely that lower quality of education and poverty results in more religious belief?
Perhaps they're the underlying causes of these results.

RJT 10-09-2005 03:55 PM

Can someone provide a link to the actual study? (I can’t even get into the LA link now, have to sign in - maybe I’ll do it later). From my experience, the media tends to portray studies like these in a way that makes good copy. As it stands now (with this news article) I would be quite embarrassed if I were a man of science with the newspaper’s use of the words “evolutionary scientist” (maybe it said evolutionary sociologist, can’t recall) linked to this fellow.

The study sounds like rubbish. It either is rubbish or a very incomplete portrayal of the man’s work. If the man’s work actually says anything, let’s take a look.

10-09-2005 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On a different note would you mind explaining the reasons for your name choice? I'm writing a PhD in complex analysis so obviously I'm curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your choice of:

a)"The shortest route between two truths in the real domain passes through the complex domain." - Hadamard, so often quoted before proving the prime number theorem.

b)It turns out that my only singularities are isolated poles.

c)It sounds cool.

10-09-2005 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone provide a link to the actual study?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.