Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   who calls this to try for trips (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=270079)

Tim H 06-10-2005 01:19 PM

who calls this to try for trips

25 NL party
UTG is so tight his azzcheeks get raw when he has to walk anywhere

anyhow:
I am BB with 99
he is UTG with AA
he brings it in for $6 announcing to the world what he has

both stacks are around $60, I call
get the 9 on the flop to get paid.

Anyhow, he says I was wrong calling that when I knew I was a dog. I said I called because I knew what he had and $6 was only ~10% of my stack and its an easy fold once the flop came.

Anyhow, who calls pf? anyone?

The_Bends 06-10-2005 01:24 PM

Re: who calls this to try for trips

Assuming you know he has AA (so you will never stack off when you get set over seted) and assuming that he will push his whole stack without help then this is a correct call.

60:6 or 10:1 on your money, 7/8:1 to hit.

Run it 15 times, 13 times you miss and fold the flop, losing 13x6= $78.
2 times you hit winning 60x2= $120

Thats the basic idea, now factor in the odds that he won't stack off when you hit (say the flop comes 8d 9d Td) to reduce your EV a bit and you still have an EV+ play. No exact but it illustrates the point.

deadmoney98 06-10-2005 01:25 PM

I probably fold here, but just because of position. To make this a good play, you MUST double up, so if he is so tight that he never lays down an overpair when you have a set, like most players at these stakes, ok.

Nathan183 06-10-2005 01:26 PM

This call is correct IF you know you will get his stack if you hit a set. However, if he's as tight as you say he is, wouldn't it be possible for him to lay down aces?

I prefer situations like one that occured last night:

$25 NL on Stars. I have K5 in the BB. EP min raises preflop, 3 callers, I call. Flop comes Kxx. He bets $.50, everyone folds, and I raise to $1.50 to see where I'm at. He reraises the minimum, and I'm almost certain I'm up against a horribly played AA. Pot odds alone allow me to call. 5 on the turn, and I get his stack.

Izenra 06-10-2005 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Anyhow, he says I was wrong calling that when I knew I was a dog. I said I called because I knew what he had and $6 was only ~10% of my stack and its an easy fold once the flop came.

Anyhow, who calls pf? anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

You played it the right way.

Also, I would not try to justified to this player why you played this way. You are making him think. You are making the idea of implied float around him [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] you MUST not do this !

Tim H 06-10-2005 01:43 PM

yeah, normally i say nothing but he was pretty cool just exasperated with my trips. don't know why i spoke up, its not like anyone (me included) at the table is actually any good

MLerra 06-10-2005 02:27 PM

I think it was likely a bad call, because of the fact that sometimes he will hit the A when you hit the 9, and in those instances, I doubt you can let go of your 999.

Also, there is a very small chance of him folding his AA due to his tightness.

In addition, it is altogether possible that your read is off, and he does not have AA.

Combining all that, I think this play is a little -EV. That said, I often will call something like this if I am down for a session and I believe that the joy I get from winning will eliminate more chance of tilting than the frustration I get from missing the flop (or him not paying me off).

raisethatmofo 06-10-2005 02:31 PM

Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Tim H 06-10-2005 02:34 PM

wow, i would think that last thing you want to do is call a $5 raise pf when you are down. More things can go wrong or maybe you'll be more likely to chase (it's only $4 bet to see the next card etc ...)

subzero 06-10-2005 02:34 PM

I usually call with any pair if the raise is less than 5% of my stack. 10% is a bit high, unless you're sure you can stack him if you hit.