Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   I want to become a wine snob. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=393220)

12-07-2005 04:13 AM

I want to become a wine snob.

I never thought I'd be a wine drinker, but I've recently doscovered that I like it. I want to learn as much as I can about what wine goes with what food and how it's made and all that. So please tell me what books, magazines, websites, etc. to read, and anything else I should do to learn.

whiskeytown 12-07-2005 04:20 AM

Re: I want to become a wine snob.

go watch "Sideways" and then ask yourself if you REALLY want to be like that...

if so, carry on....good luck. -

RB

Blarg 12-07-2005 04:24 AM

Wine critics are often hilarious, but there really is a heck of a lot of expertise involved, and you can't blame the wines for the posers. Good wine is really enjoyable stuff that can seem light years from ordinary crap, and well worth knowing a little about.

12-07-2005 04:33 AM

I haven't seen Sideways.

I don't mean "snob" as in I want to start wearing yellow sweaters and go around the room at the country club and parties and boast about my encyclopedic knowledge of wine. I just said snob for lack of a better term.

ChipWrecked 12-07-2005 04:34 AM

Anybody orders a [censored] Merlot, leave.

whiskeytown 12-07-2005 04:38 AM

then you SHOULD watch it - those guys REALLY get into their wines - I didn't know there were people like that who weren't alcoholics.

RB

HDPM 12-07-2005 11:38 AM

Taste as much as you can. Read as much as you can. There are a million sources out there. In my mind, everybody is on a learning curve somewhere. I put myself pretty low on the curve. But the nice thing is that you can enjoy wine regardless of your knowledge, and more knowledge will simply increase your enjoyment.

I have had no formal classes or training in wine, but wish I did. I have learned a lot by going to wineries and tasting and also trying to ask questions and get recommendations from informed people. Depends where you live too. It is a lot easier to learn quickly if you live in in san francisco than where I live. But you can still find places with wine tastings and you can travel. Also, at least my state allows direct shipments of wine. This can be a benefit if you live in a state that allows it or will allow it after the Supreme Court decision. If you find a good wine store and/or wineries you like, getting stuff shipped is a good way to go.

Wine spectator is also advertising their online course. I don't know if this is any good. The more I learn, the more wary I am of some of the pronouncements in that magazine, but the course might be good. And they did recently rate some wines highly that I have been buying direct after being introduced to them by a good sommelier at a wine store.

Yobz 12-07-2005 11:40 AM

I have a final in my wines class tomorrow...

jba 12-07-2005 11:40 AM

if you live in a decent sized city there are wine tastings all the time everywhere.

one thing about knowledgable wine snobs is they will just not stfu about wine, so just find some and let them talk your ear off. preferably a hot chick.

Gunny Highway 12-07-2005 11:43 AM

Well you've certainly got the name for it. Last time I wanted to buy wine for someone, I asked at the wine shop and they tried to sell me some real crap. I finally just asked someone I know and she gave me some really good advice. There have been a bunch of wine threads here. Just do a search. Lots of good info.