Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro-Limits (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Common Top Pair Situation (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=385048)

11-25-2005 01:07 PM

Common Top Pair Situation

This type of hand seems standard with reads, but this hand is against an unknown. I don't like to go into check/call mode when the turn looks unfavorable, but on the other hand I didn't want to just let this guy have it. My river play was a no brainer, but I'm really wondering about my play on the turn.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
2 folds, Hero raises, MP2 calls, 3 folds, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (4 players)
SB checks, BB checks, Hero bets, MP2 calls, SB calls, BB folds.

Turn: (5.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP2 bets, SB folds, Hero calls.

River: (7.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero bets, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 9.50 BB

Redd 11-25-2005 01:08 PM

Re: Common Top Pair Situation

I'd bet the turn; no one necessarily has an ace. Given the way you played the turn, I like the river lead since he'll check behind pretty often here.

11-25-2005 01:39 PM

Turn play is fine.

Aaron W. 11-25-2005 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Turn play is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

stuartharris 11-25-2005 01:43 PM

I like it. While I know that we're not technically WA/WB because we have a number of outs, I think it's reasonable to check/call here. If we bet and get called on the turn, I don't think we have any sense of where we are in the hand. This way we can at least make a reasonable guess about where we are in the hand and figure our odds of catching up or % of times we need to win to make a turn and/or river call profitable. Maybe this line is weak, but I like the way you played it.

11-25-2005 01:46 PM

I bet the turn, he could just be holding JT, or QJ on a straight draw and you want to make him pay for that. If he spiked an Ace, he will probably raise you, but so what, it's just 1 extra BB.

11-25-2005 01:48 PM

He will always bet this river with an ace; go for the check and raise.

cold_cash 11-25-2005 01:49 PM

I'm not giving free cards by checking the turn.

In this situation, against two unknown opponents, I would just bet the turn and, if just called, bet again on the river even if I don't catch.

Redd 11-25-2005 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But he won't always have an ace. He won't even have an ace the majority of the time IMO.

11-25-2005 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But he won't always have an ace. He won't even have an ace the majority of the time IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you but that makes our turn play inconsistent. Mind you I would have led the turn.