Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Stud (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Wow, I raised and folded to a 3bet. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=321804)

BeerMoney 08-24-2005 09:45 AM

Wow, I raised and folded to a 3bet.

My opponent is unknown. Which is rare in the party stud games.

Did I play this right?

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 5: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (3.70 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (3.35 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets___raises
Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___raises___folds

Total pot: 6.35 BB

jon_1van 08-24-2005 09:46 AM

Re: Wow, I raised and folded to a 3bet.

I'm guessing that was an isolation raise?

BeerMoney 08-24-2005 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm guessing that was an isolation raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

ya.

Jeffage 08-24-2005 10:12 AM

Why would you checkraise 5th? Keep driving it...risking a free card there is disastrous and you still might be best. When you checkraise, your opponent could 3-bet 5th with a pair and a draw so he gets a cheaper walk to showdown. Still, you're likely beaten when he 3-bets. But checkraising was a mistake in the first place.

Jeff

MrBlueNose 08-24-2005 11:02 AM

I hate the check raise attempt. If you knew anything about Seat 2 then it may be different, but as you don't, we have no idea if he's going to be aggressive and bet to if checked. I think 80-90% of the time that's just going to be checked through, as no-one picked up any real scarecards. I bet it out.

zatoichi 08-24-2005 11:10 AM

Beer,

okay...an isolation raise...but, what were you thinking...

were u thinking spades are extremely live and your opponent may just call the check/raise out of fear that u yourself are now on a flush draw...in which case a spade on 6th might give u a free card?

or have i allowed my thots to wander a bit too far beyond a simple isolation raise on this hand... i guess i ask, because if i were check raised here id not have gone on to three-bet it like your opponent did, unless i had my own club flush draw which is still somewhat live...

what did u put your opponent on?...did you fold after the three-bet because u suspected u were up against 1 - a made straight with a flush draw or possibly 2 - an oesd with the flush draw? or was it simply 3 - unknown opponent showing real strength, too dicey to trust a read let it go...

forgive me if im out of my depths...flames remain welcome

the overly-curious blind samurai masseuse

Michael Emery 08-24-2005 05:28 PM

eeeeewwwwwwww......tell me that was a misclick for the love of God. Beer, you fish, this post totally wasnt ballzy. I'm really disappointed after I came all the way over from HUSH to read your post. I'd just assume bet out on fifth here. The three-strait should scare the player in the middle enough that he should consider folding any medium pair here. The three-strait should also scare you enough that you dont want to check raise it and open yourself up to a three-bet (even though it probably isnt there yet). My speculation, you got tricked by a 4 strait/pair type combo and threw away the best hand. This is totally a post someone like ming should be making, not beer.

Mike Emery

Hamlet 08-24-2005 05:47 PM

I agree with the group that this is a strange way to play the hand, but I kinda like it. You really need to get the hand head's up. The way it played out, you may get Seat 1 to fold a pair of Jacks. Folding to the 3-bet depends on the player, and with no read I think you're probably right to fold. Most players wouldn't 3-bet with 2 small pair. Possible hands for a rational opponent and my guess at percentage chance of holding it:

a made straight 25%
trips 25%
a pair and a good draw 20%
just a good draw 10%
two pair 10%
a buried big pair 10%

Obviously, I'm pulling these numbers out of an orfice. But I would say 50% of the time you are hurting big-time, 40% you are a dog but still have decent outs, and 10% you're a small favorite.

The big pot you've made has made the decision challenging. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

SittingBull 08-24-2005 06:36 PM

Hello,Beer! UR fold was correct. However,on 5th,u should have just bet

it out. U have some backdoor potential with ur pair. UR oppo. most likely was rolled up and waited until the more expensive ST. to go to war.
HappyPokering,
SittingBull

Bill Murphy 08-24-2005 10:50 PM

Some Bad News Per Twodimes

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=1176429

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=1176439

And so on. If he has a straight you're about 9-1 dog, but... Bad fold, IMO.

And the CR is just FPS. Seat 1 ain't calling a single bet, not with 2's board.