Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   I finally (sort of) understand was Fimbulwinter was talking about... (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=390846)

Isura 12-03-2005 11:34 PM

I finally (sort of) understand was Fimbulwinter was talking about...

Villain is 31/11 and tagish postflop (for this level atleast). I have been aggressive the whole session (about 50 hands. I have also raised several flops (my cards were irrelevant)to protect my preflop raises, and got people to fold.

Who likes it? Who hates it? I'll post my thoughts in a bit.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 4 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

BB ($47.48)
UTG ($33.85)
Hero ($128.27)
SB ($106.85)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, SB (poster) calls $1.75, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($4.50) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $4</font>, Hero calls $4.

Turn: ($12.50) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $8</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $22</font>,

Morrek 12-03-2005 11:38 PM

Re: I finally (sort of) understand was Fimbulwinter was talking about.

What was he talking about?

Isura 12-03-2005 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the moral of this post?

Hattifnatt 12-03-2005 11:39 PM

Re: I finally (sort of) understand was Fimbulwinter was talking about...

I dont like the preflop raise, if it was suited it would had been standard to me.

Postflop looks ok but I think you must raise a little more on the turn, to 25 or so.

EMcWilliams 12-03-2005 11:57 PM

Re: I finally (sort of) understand was Fimbulwinter was talking about...

I love watching when someone plays the scare card. NH

12-04-2005 12:00 AM

Never try bluffing

stu-unger 12-04-2005 12:01 AM

i think this is a quality play to have in your arsenal, but i haven't had any success w/ it at this level so far...

12-04-2005 12:02 AM

So he picked you off with J4o?

Isura 12-04-2005 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In one of Fim's famous posters, he outlined the skills the a player needs to develop as he moves up the NL holdem ladder. One thing he mentioned was reaching a stage when it becomes very diffult to win a pot from you without a very strong hand. I'm not implying that I've reached that stage.

As I mentioned in my OP, I had raised several flops preciously (against an OOP lead bet) and gotten folds. So I didn't think I could represent much with a flop raise, and I didn't want him to call or reraise me off the best hand. So I called trying to represent a slowplayed overpair or flush draw + overcards (AK-AJs etc). I was planning on raising any turn card if he bet less than the pot. I probably should have made it 25, but 22 seemed just enough to get this guy to fold his better pair.

12-04-2005 12:33 AM

Meant to reply to original poster.

I don't know if this is a money maker by itself, but with meta-game considerations, against a good opponent, I can see the argument. I usually don't make this play unless my opponent shows fear (checks or makes a blocking bet). I don't know what's best here. It is a good question. Thanks.