Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   How far do you go with weak overpair? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=399119)

RikaKazak 12-15-2005 05:29 PM

How far do you go with weak overpair?

Villian is a 25/9 with AF of 3 after 49 hands. I'm playing semi tight, probably a 24/12, I c-bet heads up 99% of the time heads up, and 3 way about 60% of the time. The villian and I have yet to be in a hand together.

NL 400 partypoker 6 max

fold, villian limps, hero raises to $25 with black T's, folded to villian who calls.

flop comes 863 with club draw. villian checks I bet $40 into $55 pot, villian check raises to $90, hero? it's $50 more to call. stack sizes $400.

tommo 12-15-2005 05:35 PM

Re: How far do you go with weak overpair?

I think you ought to call.

You aren't going to see a cheap showdown unless your opponent is semibluffing (which makes me lean towards call). If you don't see a cheap showdown TT is probably not going to be good.

However, I think villain might be doing this with any small pocket pair, guessing that you missed your overcards. Given that you have position here I think I actually call and hope for an A or K.

tommo 12-15-2005 07:00 PM

I'm curious how other people will respond to this one.so I'm bumping it.

emil3000 12-15-2005 07:07 PM

You know these spots are so tough, I still don't have a good line, especially against tighter players. I probably call and make a decision on the turn depending on bet size, which card fell and the likes. I don't see myself calling another street, it's probably push or fold if he leads the turn. Always ugly though.

BobboFitos 12-15-2005 07:12 PM

call

Rotating Rabbit 12-15-2005 07:31 PM

horrible spot because the times when u arent already behind villians at 2/4 will probably semi bluff again with clubs. small chance he gives up if on clubs tho, and small chance hes shutting down with 1 pair after u call, probably combined make the 20% or so u need to call.

zeero3 12-15-2005 08:12 PM

I haven't played 400 6max for a while, but I'd drop this on the flop like it's hot. But that's PRIMARILY because 1) I don't want to see a turn OR river and 2) you showed much strenth so far and it looks like he WANTS you to call him.

RikaKazak 12-16-2005 05:12 AM

Thing is, I pfr a fair amount, and almost ALWAYS c-bet heads up, so for me, this line hasn't showed much "real" strength.

cardsharkk04 12-16-2005 06:56 AM

I don't mind a push here, especially because a lot of the bad players will still call anyway with the flush draw.

xorbie 12-16-2005 07:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you showed much strenth so far and it looks like he WANTS you to call him.

[/ QUOTE ]

such strength? no.

[ QUOTE ]

I don't mind a push here, especially because a lot of the bad players will still call anyway with the flush draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

gambooling on this flop against a flush draw is not nearly as +EV as you seem to suspect, against the range of villains likely flush draws here we are not very good, they are either pair + flush draw, straight + flush draw or overcard + flush draw. not to mention the times he calls with a better hand. he will rarely call with a worse hand. pc.

mythrilfox 12-16-2005 09:08 AM

why in god's name did you raise to 25 preflop. this hand is so much easier to play if you exercise preflop/flop pot control.

RikaKazak 12-18-2005 07:18 AM

shut up

seriously man, if people will call 25 to 30 pfr why not make it that much? the hand plays the same if I make it 20 as if I make it 25, shut up idiot

Gregg777 12-18-2005 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villian is a 25/9 with AF of 3 after 49 hands. I'm playing semi tight, probably a 24/12, I c-bet heads up 99% of the time heads up, and 3 way about 60% of the time. The villian and I have yet to be in a hand together.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice info...

I would call. Villain has to act first and seems fairly solid. You c-bet a lot, but calling his raise should give some indication of a hand.

If he leads out strong on the turn I am letting it go.

snowbank 12-18-2005 02:57 PM

call

What do you plan on doing on the turn and river?? I'm folding this one every time. Am I wrong here?

Gregg777 12-18-2005 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you plan on doing on the turn and river?? I'm folding this one every time. Am I wrong here?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are folding TT with position on this board to an aggressive villain, then you would be wrong to raise it preflop.

snowbank 12-18-2005 04:17 PM

If you are folding TT with position on this board to an aggressive villain, then you would be wrong to raise it preflop.

The check-raise is what would worry me? You only beat a bluff, A8, and 99. What are you doing on the turn and river?

RikaKazak 12-18-2005 04:56 PM

After talking to some poker buddies, I think I call this ck raise, when I do that it does clarify, HEY, I have a hand. If he leads turn big I'm going to give it up and make a note to watch his play in the future.

I think he has a set, flush draw, or small pp. I think he'll slow down on turn with small pp and may or may not slow down with flush draw. I think I should call the $50 because the pot is big enough. And then play poker on turn.

gunslingner 12-18-2005 05:03 PM

3-bet?

emil3000 12-18-2005 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3-bet?

[/ QUOTE ]
Sucks.

FreakDaddy 12-18-2005 05:09 PM

With position I call and watch the turn. Considering your image I think there's a fair amount of time villian is making a move here/thinks you missed.

Gregg777 12-18-2005 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The check-raise is what would worry me? You only beat a bluff, A8, and 99.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, I am not saying call every time against every opponent. But an aggressive player with a lot of holdings (over cards, flush draw, an 8, or 99), who knows I continuation bet 99%, will check raise in this spot.

Also, I am not calling just for this hand, if I am folding an overpair to a check raise after a continuation bet, then I am folding just about anything in that situation, which is going to open me up to a lot of steals in the future.

[ QUOTE ]
What are you doing on the turn and river?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he leads out strong on the turn I am letting it go.

Hattifnatt 12-18-2005 05:30 PM

I would make it 20 preflop. On the flop I fold or call and reevaluate (and trying very hard to spike a ten) on the turn, but i leaning towards folding.