Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Turn check through - Trying to induce a bluff. (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=292449)

brassnuts 07-14-2005 12:21 AM

Turn check through - Trying to induce a bluff.

Party Poker (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
MP limps, Hero raises, all fold, MP calls.

Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, Hero bets, MP calls.

Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, Hero checks.

River: 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot:

1. I put him on a weak ace. If this is the case, he's folding to a turn bet.

2. I was hoping that he would bluff at the river.

Edit: Converter malfunction.

sam h 07-14-2005 02:06 AM

Re: Turn check through - Trying to induce a bluff.

[ QUOTE ]
I put him on a weak ace. If this is the case, he's folding to a turn bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mind your play but I don't see how you can have this specific of a read in this kind of situation. Also, you might want to bet the river. Most opponents will bet with a pair, and most will call with an ace.

brassnuts 07-14-2005 02:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I put him on a weak ace. If this is the case, he's folding to a turn bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mind your play but I don't see how you can have this specific of a read in this kind of situation. Also, you might want to bet the river. Most opponents will bet with a pair, and most will call with an ace.

[/ QUOTE ]

The read was more of a gut feeling. From what little read I did have on him, he's either calling this flop with a weaker ace, or a pair.

As far as betting this river, I agree, I think I should be value betting this. However, I sometimes check these through, in hopes that these guys are somewhat perceptive. And, especially against someone directly on my right, I want them to fear my river bets. Seeing me play this hand in this manner (even though I'm fairly sure I'm ahead) may give me a passive image to this guy on my right.

mungpo 07-14-2005 02:40 AM

I don't know. I still bet this turn.

aK13 07-14-2005 02:52 AM

I'm betting the turn every time.

If you think he's got a weak ace...bet for value and protect your hand.

If he's going to fold, fine, its better than giving a free card, having him spike somethign like a 7 on the river and stealing the pot.

NLSoldier 07-14-2005 03:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm betting the turn every time.

If you think he's got a weak ace...bet for value and protect your hand.

If he's going to fold, fine, its better than giving a free card, having him spike somethign like a 7 on the river and stealing the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the turn being a bet, but if we somehow knew our opponent had A7, like you used in your example, it would turn into a check. With A7 he only has 2-3 outs against us, and the bet we gain on the river by inducing a bluff is more important than protecting our hand because the pot is small and he has so few outs.

Anders_G 07-14-2005 03:55 AM

Bet the turn, who open-limps with A7 anyway?

NLSoldier 07-14-2005 03:58 AM

Not sure what limit this was, but if its 5/10 or lower Id say probably 75% of players.

Jeffage 07-14-2005 11:02 AM

You have an easy heads up bet on this turn. The only strength your opponent has shown is check-calling a ragged flop against a preflop raiser. You will win on the turn a decent amt of the time and have plenty of outs if called or raised. It's also quite possible your ace high is the best hand. Keep pounding.

Jeff

PokerBob 07-14-2005 11:08 AM

IMO checking this turn is not correct.