Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Beginners Questions (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Move up to juicy game above your limits? (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=171302)

kurosh 01-05-2005 05:04 AM

Move up to juicy game above your limits?

I consider myself a pretty solid 2/4 limit player. I found an EXTREMELY juicy 15/30 game with 50%+ seeing the flop and passive players. I have about a 10k BR. Would it be that bad of an idea to invest $1000 to test out the game?

<font color="white">I actually already did it. Played in it a few hours today and ended up $800. Just wondering what other people's opinions are. </font>

Mons 01-05-2005 05:21 AM

Re: Move up to juicy game above your limits?

Why do you ask when you already know the answer?

kurosh 01-05-2005 05:28 AM

I don't know the answer. I'm wondering what other people think.

Cornell Fiji 01-05-2005 05:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you ask when you already know the answer?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am going to make the assumption that as a 2/4 player you have the skills to beat this juicy 15/30 game (although most likely this is an extremely faulty assumption.)

Obviously 50% seeing the flop means an even higher variance and a greater chance you go broke. You should not go and 'test yourself' in this game because the most likely result is you ending up -$1000.

Or even worse, (i've seen this happen - actually, ive done this!) sitting down with another $1000 because 'the game is so juicy' and another and another... and oops your 10k roll is back to 3k and you are playing 1/2.

Youre asking a question you know the answer to.

Note: I am somewhat hypocritical, I play in games that exceed my bankroll all of the time. I am just giving you the correct answer to your question.

snowbank 01-05-2005 05:43 AM

I wouldn't suggest it. That's probably the standard answer you will get. If you decide you want to go crazy in a situation like that, I wouldn't "invest" $1,000. I would maybe bring in a few hundred to "gamble" with.(not sure what the minimum is so it might be $1,000. If it is $1,000, and you have your heart set on it, set an amount where you will stop at.) I wouldn't consider it "investing" unless you had proper reasoning to assume that your rewards outweigh your risks by a greater amount than your current "investing" would return you. If you wanted to have fun and gamble a little, do it very carefully. Again, I wouldn't recommend it, but I assume you knew that would be people's answers, so I suspect you may be looking for alternative suggestions if you "had" to do it. This would be mine.

kurosh 01-05-2005 05:46 AM

But they're SO BAD! I saw a guy raise 94s UTG and they call down with king high.

goofball 01-05-2005 05:49 AM

i would ABSOLUTELY suggest it.

take a shot, if you lose your 1k you have to stop, but you might be able to make the jump to 15/30 tongiht.

my story a la that. I took a $500 shot at 15/30 when i had a 3K bankroll, I lost it. when i got back to 3k i took another shot and haven't looked back. over the last 50k hands i've beaten the game handily, enough that i have a savings enough to move to vegas and take my shot at the big games there

learn by doing man, learn by doing.

kurosh 01-05-2005 06:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i would ABSOLUTELY suggest it.

take a shot, if you lose your 1k you have to stop, but you might be able to make the jump to 15/30 tongiht.

my story a la that. I took a $500 shot at 15/30 when i had a 3K bankroll, I lost it. when i got back to 3k i took another shot and haven't looked back. over the last 50k hands i've beaten the game handily, enough that i have a savings enough to move to vegas and take my shot at the big games there

learn by doing man, learn by doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks... I just might. Highlight my original post.

goofball 01-05-2005 06:14 AM

awesome dude. the 15/30 is LAG. take your $1800 and keep going. I'd reccomend playing until you lose your taking a shot money, or have a regular 15 roll.

by the way, at 10k you have one already, that's decidedly more than 300bb at the 15 game

CORed 01-05-2005 06:27 PM

I'm glad it worked out for you. You could have very easily lost that $1,000. That's only 33 BB. Get your TPTK beaten a few times, and it's gone.